1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thx for help tonight yall 3 more questions X_x

1. Sep 22, 2013 #1
    Thx for help tonight yall :D 3 more questions X_x

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (1 pt)

First of all i'm a bit confused.. it wants the equation for a plane in all three questions.. the linear equation of a plane?

(A) If the positive z-axis points upward, an equation for a horizontal plane through the point (-5,4,-4) is

So it's a horizontal plane which means that the z direction number will be zero..
    a(x-xi) + b(y-yi) + c(z-zi) = 0
    ax - a5 + by - b4 = -
    so i'll make a equal 4 and b = -5?
    4x - 20 -5y +20 = 0
    4x - 5y = 0

program says this is wrong..

(B) An equation for the plane perpendicular to the x-axis and passing through the point (-5,4,-4 is:

attempt at solution:
    a plane that hits the x axis at a 90 degree angel would mean that it always has the same value for x if i'm picturing this correctly? so the direction number for x would be zero i believe.

b(y-(-5)) + c(z-(-4)) = 0
    by + 5b + cz + 4z = 0
    so i could make b = 4 and z = -5?
    4y + 20 - 5z - 20 = 0
    4y - 5z = 0...

program says i'm doing it wrong X_x

(C) An equation for the plane parallel to the xz-plane and passing through the point (-5,4,-4) is:

attempt at solution:
    If it's parallel to the xz plane that means the direction on it's y component must be zero..
    a(x-(-5)) + b(y-4) + c(z-(-4)) = 0
    ax + 5a + by - 4b + cz + 4c = 0
    well b has to be zero so it's parallel to the xz plane...

so xa + 5a -cz + 4c = 0
    c could be -5 and a could be 4... ?
    4x + 20 +5z -20 = 0
    4x + 5z = 0

something went wrong here...?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's better to post one problem per thread.
    Any vector along the z-axis will be normal to the plane. One that comes to mind is <0, 0, 1>.

Correct - this plane isn't horizontal.

4. Sep 22, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes. And what would that value be? This problem is much simpler than you're making it.

I don't think the concept of a normal to a plane has gelled in your mind just yet. If the plane is perpendicular to the x-axis, give me one normal to this plane.

Do you understand what the variables in this equation represent?
    A(x - x0) + B(y - y0) + C(z - z0) = 0

In case you don't, n = <A, B, C> is a normal to the plane, and P0(x0, y0, z0) is a particular point on the plane.

The equation comes from the fact that if P(x, y, z) is an arbitrary point on the plane, then the vector PP0 = <x - x0, y - y0, z - z0> is perpendicular to n. Therefore, n ##\cdot## PP0 = 0. The equation above comes directly from this dot product.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted