TI-83/84 Plus - Storing polynomial functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the different methods of storing and defining polynomial functions on the TI-83 or TI-84 Plus calculators. The first method involves creating a program that prompts for the value of x and displays the corresponding value of f(x). The second method involves using the Y= menu, where Y= represents f(x)=, and the Mode menu to switch between different graphing modes. Additionally, the conversation mentions the Graph3D app for 3D graphing and differential equations. The speaker also mentions that functions with multiple variables are best handled using a program, and that they personally wrote a program in high school for this purpose.
moonman239
Unless I'm missing something here, I've noticed that if you want to store a polynomial function on the TI-83 or the TI-84 Plus, you have to create a program that asks you what the value of x is, then displays the value of f(x). I kind of wish I could define a function without making a program.

Computer science news on Phys.org
To define a function, you can enter the Y= menu. In that case, Y= translates to f(x)=. You can also change from the Mode menu to parametric, polar, and sequential graphing modes. Alternatively, if you want 3D graphing or graphing of differential equations, Graph3D is a wonderful app that operates even faster than the TI-89.

However, many functions of other variables are easiest done using a program. I wrote a program back in high school to handle more arbitrary function types, but that was years ago.

What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a mathematical function that can be expressed as a sum of terms, each consisting of a constant multiplier and one or more variables raised to a non-negative integer power. For example, f(x) = 3x^2 + 5x + 2 is a polynomial function.

How do I store a polynomial function on a TI-83/84 Plus calculator?

To store a polynomial function on a TI-83/84 Plus calculator, you can use the "Y=" button to enter the function into the calculator's graphing screen. Make sure to use the "X,T,θ,n" button to input the variable "x". You can then use the "WINDOW" button to set the appropriate x and y ranges for your function.

How do I graph a stored polynomial function on a TI-83/84 Plus calculator?

To graph a stored polynomial function on a TI-83/84 Plus calculator, you can use the "GRAPH" button. This will display the function on the calculator's graphing screen according to the window settings you have previously set. You can also use the "TABLE" button to generate a table of values for your function.

Can I edit a stored polynomial function on a TI-83/84 Plus calculator?

Yes, you can edit a stored polynomial function on a TI-83/84 Plus calculator. To do so, select the function you want to edit using the up and down arrows, and then use the "ENTER" button to access the function's settings. You can then use the arrow keys to navigate and make changes to the function.

How do I clear a stored polynomial function on a TI-83/84 Plus calculator?

To clear a stored polynomial function on a TI-83/84 Plus calculator, go to the function's settings by selecting it and pressing the "ENTER" button. Then, navigate to the "Y=" menu and use the "CLEAR" button to remove the function. You can also use the "Y1", "Y2", etc. buttons to directly delete specific functions.