TI-89 - how to delete equation on numeric solver?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of deleting unwanted equations from the TI-89 "numeric solver" app. The person asking for help has consulted the manual and searched online for solutions, but has not been able to find any. Another person suggests that the calculator can retain 11 equations and that the oldest equation will drop off the list as new ones are added. They also suggest using BASIC programming to save and organize more equations. Finally, it is mentioned that equations can be saved and reloaded into the numeric solver, and that saved equations can be deleted if needed.
LTME
The topic says it all. I am trying to figure out how to delete unwanted equations out of my TI-89 "numeric solver" app. I consulted the manual...nothing. I have googled and youtubed...nothing. Any help here would be great as I love the numeric solver app but it is becoming hard to find the right equation because there are so many in the folder now.

LTME

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Gonna need help with this too. There is no information online

Your Ti-89 should retain 11 equations in the Numeric Solver. I believe you should be able to delete the specific variable name and that should delete the equation. As you edit and add equations, the oldest equation will drop off the list too. If you have the list of 11 equations from the numeric screen (F5), toggle to that equation and delete (not sure of this, but should work and be the most efficient).

Thanks for the question, I never bothered to worry about this as I just entered new equations and let the calculator just add and drop the old equations off. This is not efficient by any means, but I don't use my Ti-89 all that much, so I didn't realize I only had 11 equations available.

One suggestion, not sure if practical or even possible: I had suspected I may need to insert equations as comments in a BASIC program and pick and save into the solver. Awkward, but it would provide for more than 11 equations and in a convoluted file sort of way (different program names for different families of equations). I will dig into this over the weekend and provide an updated answer if any of the above is wrong or not feasible.

If you need more than 11 equations; for reference let us know how you accomplish?

Last edited:
Likes Akashic and Greg Bernhardt
Thanks a lot, hopefully people can use this as their reference as this link is the first one one google

Update: I am NOT able to delete the equations in my numeric solver list. Not really a big deal as they do fall off the list as I add more equations.

And I am not able to cut and paste from my comment lines in basic, but that may be due to my errors of operation using the cut and paste features.

While 11 equations in the numeric solver list is better than a single equation as used by the Ti-83, it is still limited for a student with several math intensive classes with many different types of equations. True you can toggle through the list and grab what you want, but not as flexible nor as extensive as it could have been.

1) You can not delete the equations in F5.
2) But, you can save many equations in calculator's memory for later use.

Save equation:
1) Type your equation in numeric solver.
2) press F1 , select "Save Copy As" then select Folder and enter variable name(equation name) then press [enter][enter].

Reload equation into numeric solver:
In numeric solver mode, press F1, select "Open" then select Folder and select your variable (equation name).

If you want to DELETE a saved equation, just press [2nd][VAR-LINK], highlight the equation and then press [F1]/[Delete].

1. How do I access the numeric solver on my TI-89 calculator?

To access the numeric solver on your TI-89 calculator, press the "F2" button and then select "Numeric Solver" from the menu. Alternatively, you can press "ALPHA" followed by "S" to directly access the solver.

2. How do I enter an equation into the numeric solver on my TI-89 calculator?

To enter an equation into the numeric solver, use the arrow keys to navigate to the "Equation" field and then use the keyboard to type in your equation. Make sure to use the appropriate syntax and parentheses for complex equations.

3. How do I delete an equation from the numeric solver on my TI-89 calculator?

To delete an equation from the numeric solver, use the arrow keys to navigate to the "Equation" field and then use the "DEL" button to delete the equation. You can also press "F4" to clear all equations from the solver.

4. Can I delete multiple equations at once from the numeric solver on my TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can delete multiple equations at once from the numeric solver. Press "F4" and then use the "DEL" button to delete each equation from the list. Alternatively, you can press "ALPHA" and then "F4" to clear all equations at once.

5. How do I delete a specific equation from the numeric solver on my TI-89 calculator?

If you have multiple equations stored in the numeric solver, you can use the arrow keys to navigate to the specific equation you want to delete and then use the "DEL" button to delete it. You can also press "F2" and then use the arrow keys to select the equation you want to delete before pressing "DEL".