Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TI-89 Basic Physics Settings/Calculations Help

Tags:
  1. Sep 17, 2012 #1
    Ok, new to the forum and taking my first real science credit physics course (I have taken one prior but it doesnt count towards the major). I'm in somewhat of a bind here as i just got a TI-89 titanium thinking that more was inherently better, im now regretting this decision. When i go to do a simple equation such as finding a projectiles velocity in the x direction on a plane, i would enter the equation 950cos(75), (final speed being 950m/s, and the angle being 75deg.) i get this: 475*(√(3)-1)*√(2)/2. Now, ive looked through the manual, and do believe i am on the proper settings. I have also had the professor take a look at it but he couldn't figure it out either. After some extensive googling i figured someone here could help me out.

Thank you.

Issue Resolved

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2
    Good to hear, please stop back!

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    For future reference, for anybody else that has this problem, here are two ways to fix this:

In the Mode settings, change Exact/Approx to Approximate.

Alternatively, if you add a decimal point instead, like 950.cos(75), the decimal value will be returned as opposed to the exact value with radicals.

5. Mar 7, 2014 #4
    Another way to get around this is if you use "Auto" as your Exact/Approx mode and you want to see the approximate answer, hit the green diamond key and then enter instead of just enter. This will display the approximate answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook