TI TI Nspire CX CAS How do I input full fractions and 84-Plus mode?

In summary, I'm trying to figure out how to plot a differential equation using my TI Nspire and I'm not 100% sure I am getting the right results. So I figured I would ask if anyone here uses a TI Nspire and can give me an idea of how to plot these equations. I also have another equation where: y'+4y=cos(t) a known solution of y(t) = 4/17cos(t)+1/17sin(t)+Ce^-4t and initial known value of y(0) = -1 should I solve this in terms of y' to plot it or what exactly? How do I input full fractions for
MathWarrior
I have been trying to figure out how to plot a differential equation using my TI Nspire with very little luck. I managed to find that I can set the graph of the calculator to a directional field but I am not 100% sure I am getting the right results. So I figured I would ask to see if anyone here uses a TI Nspire and can give me an idea of how to plot these equations.

For example I have the equation

y'=-2y^2
where a solution for it is:
y(t)=3/(6t-11)
with an initial value of:
y(2) = 3

in my TI Nspire I put in something such as:

y1'=−2*y1^(2)

but since I know y(2)=3 what do I do? exactly? Am I doing this right?

I also have another equation where:
y'+4y=cos(t)

a known solution of
y(t) = 4/17cos(t)+1/17sin(t)+Ce^-4t

and initial known value of:
y(0) = -1

should I solve this in terms of y' to plot it or what exactly?

Computer science news on Phys.org
How do I input full fractions for algebra into the Nspire? Here is a example:

6/8 X 6 4/5 = 5 1/10

When I try to put this in the calculator my answer is 51/10 and not 5 1/10 with a space after the 5. 5 space 1/10.

It only let's me do numerator and denominator but not a whole number beside of it or gives me a whole number X or multiplication symbol beside the numerator and denominator.

I can't find a answer on the internet so far on how to do this.

They talk about TI 84-Plus mode and I don't see a option on how to do it anyplace so far.

Thanks

Hi all,

I know this is very subjective and probably asked a few hundred thousand times. I'm an Mechanical Engineering student looking to upgrade from my ti 83. I know atleast so far my math classes (Calc II) won't allow a CAS capable calculator, and that you can get the interchangable keyboards to remove that function for the NSpire. And as far as I know there is know CAS program for the Prizm. Is the CAS system really that helpful?, I've never had the chance to use it. I know Id use the graphing feature of it a lot and integral/derivative features of them both and program in notes for formulas etc. Is it justifiable to spend another $50 on the Nspire if I can't use the CAS touchpad keyboard of it?

Thanks guys

1. How do I input full fractions on the TI Nspire CX CAS?

To input a full fraction on the TI Nspire CX CAS, you can use the division (/) key or the fraction (ab/c) key. For example, to input 3/4, you can type 3/4 or 3 ab/c 4. You can also use the Math template (CTRL + 1) to input fractions.

2. How do I switch to 84-Plus mode on the TI Nspire CX CAS?

To switch to 84-Plus mode on the TI Nspire CX CAS, press the "Menu" key, then select "Settings," and finally select "Enable 84-Plus Mode." This will allow you to use the calculator in the same way as the TI 84-Plus.

3. Can I input mixed fractions on the TI Nspire CX CAS?

Yes, you can input mixed fractions on the TI Nspire CX CAS by using the fraction (ab/c) key. For example, to input 1 1/2, you can type 1 ab/c 2.

4. How do I convert between fractions and decimals on the TI Nspire CX CAS?

To convert a fraction to a decimal on the TI Nspire CX CAS, simply divide the numerator by the denominator. To convert a decimal to a fraction, use the Math template (CTRL + 1) to input the decimal and then use the "toFraction" function.

5. Can the TI Nspire CX CAS simplify fractions?

Yes, the TI Nspire CX CAS has a "simplify" function that can be used to simplify fractions. To use this function, input the fraction and then press the "Menu" key. Select "Algebra" and then select "simplify." This will simplify the fraction to its simplest form.