Time as a Dimension: Exploring Questions

In summary: Time is not a spatial dimension, as it has to be. However, without the ##it## multiplier, it is impossible to include time as the fourth dimension besides the three spatial dimensions.
tylerfarzam
Is time its own dimension or is it a constant that remains through all dimensions? Also, are there multiple dimensions of time, and how do we know the answers to these questions?

Likes klocke
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not think its possible for time to be its on dimension. Time would have to exist on all dimensions, because without it, there would be no differentiation between the dimensions.

Maybe it works differently in different dimensions though?

tylerfarzam said:
Is time its own dimension or is it a constant that remains through all dimensions? Also, are there multiple dimensions of time, and how do we know the answers to these questions?

Spacepantz86 said:
I do not think its possible for time to be its on dimension. Time would have to exist on all dimensions, because without it, there would be no differentiation between the dimensions.

Maybe it works differently in different dimensions though?

You could both start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

Likes DrClaude
tylerfarzam said:
and how do we know the answers to these questions?

We observe the universe, perform experiments, and make new models and theories. Basically ask, "what are the consequences if X is true" and then see if your observations and experiments support this over other possibilities. If there were multiple dimensions of time then there would be some serious consequences that would could observe. But we don't observe these things. All our observations and experiments support the idea that time is a single dimension, just one out of the four total dimensions making up spacetime.

Spacepantz86 said:

To the best of our knowlege, time is a single dimension. Note that I'm using 'dimension' to refer to a particular axis of a coordinate system. I don't mean 'dimension' in the sense of there being alternate dimensions, which might be better described as alternate or parallel universes.

tylerfarzam said:
Undoubtedly Time is not a dimension but like gravity Time is the only thing that can move across dimensions

• Skeptical
Likes davenn and Periwinkle
Drakkith said:
To the best of our knowledge, time is a single dimension. Note that I'm using 'dimension' to refer to a particular axis of a coordinate system. I don't mean 'dimension' in the sense of there being alternate dimensions, which might be better described as alternate or parallel universes.

I am always surprised that people accept so quickly that time is a dimension. It should not be forgotten that only with ##it## will we get a number that behaves like a spatial dimension in many ways. However, without the ##i## multiplier, it is impossible to include time as the fourth dimension besides the three spatial dimensions. The ##i## itself has a lot of unique features.

So if anyone asked me this, I'd answer him, but don't forget about imaginary ##i##.

• Skeptical
Likes klocke and davenn
klocke said:
Undoubtedly Time is not a dimension but like gravity Time is the only thing that can move across dimensions

This is nonsense. Time is treated as a dimension in physics, and your statement about moving across dimensions is vague and probably meaningless. Since you appear to be a new member, please note that PF does not allow personal theories or ideas that fall outside of mainstream science. You can find a list of the rules under the 'INFO' dropdown menu at the top of the page.

• Love
Likes Chestermiller, Periwinkle and davenn
Drakkith said:
This is nonsense. Time is treated as a dimension in physics, and your statement about moving across dimensions is vague and probably meaningless. Since you appear to be a new member, please note that PF does not allow personal theories or ideas that fall outside of mainstream science. You can find a list of the rules under the 'INFO' dropdown menu at the top of the page.

Interestingly, the article on the physical concept of time in Encyclopedia Britannica begins with time as a continuum with no spatial dimension.

Periwinkle said:
Interestingly, the article on the physical concept of time in Encyclopedia Britannica begins with time as a continuum with no spatial dimension.

Of course. Time is a non-spatial dimension, as it has to be.

Periwinkle said:
However, without the ##it## multiplier, it is impossible to include time as the fourth dimension besides the three spatial dimensions.
That's not quite right; not only is it possible, but ##it## is one of the first things you unlearn as you move from special relativity to general relativity. There's a short section in MTW entitled "Farewell to ##ict##" in which the authors explain why our "old friend ##ict##... must be put to the sword".

The ##ict## trick has the modest virtue of making Lorentz boosts in flat four-dimensional spacetime look formally like rotations in four-dimensional Euclidean space, but that's not necessary for treating time as a dimension and it gets in the way when we're working with curved spacetimes modeled by pseudo-Riemannian geometry.

Likes Chestermiller
There's been a lot of nonsense spouted here.

I do not think its possible for time to be its on dimension.
Time would have to exist on all dimensions
I am always surprised that people accept so quickly that time is a dimension.

The very first sentence in the wiki article that @PeroK cited in post #3 says:
n physics, spacetime is any mathematical model that fuses the three dimensions of space and the concept of time into a single four-dimensional continuum.
Some sources distinguish the three spatial dimensions, the x, y, and z of Euclidean space, and the temporal dimension, time.

Likes davenn
If we assume time is inextricably interrelated to the 3 dimensions of space (in a specific way) then the laws of physics become simpler and more unified. At the same time, a theory that rules out the existence of dimensions beyond those four has not yet been developed.

Periwinkle said:
I am always surprised that people accept so quickly that time is a dimension. It should not be forgotten that only with ##it## will we get a number that behaves like a spatial dimension in many ways.

Dimensions do not have to be spatial. There are many examples of dimensions that are neither spatial nor temporal.

Mister T said:
Dimensions do not have to be spatial. There are many examples of dimensions that are neither spatial nor temporal.

Mathematics and physical reality should not be combined. Mathematics knows Hilbert space of infinite dimension, but no one thinks that the physical space itself would be an endless dimension. Of course, I also know, for example, that general theory of relativity uses a space concept in which physical spatial and temporal relationships only appear as spatial relationships. However, time in these geometries also plays a unique role.

The dimension itself is an entirely geometric concept. Until there is no other direct concept of geometry than the three-dimensional Euclidean space experienced, the time as a dimension is challenging to accept. Minkowski also faced this. He believed that switching from the three-dimensional Euclidean to the four-dimensional, by analogy, was acceptable, and if the time were represented by ##cit## quantities, the unification of space and time would be even more evident. (I remember he wrote that space and time as a separate reality will disappear forever.)

So, for example, I can personally accept so much that time is a separate dimension, as much as I assume Hilbert space is space. In a mathematical sense, this is undoubtedly the case.

Periwinkle said:
Mathematics and physical reality should not be combined.

The dimension itself is an entirely geometric concept.

By that argument "dimension" is a mathematical concept, with a mathematical definition. Space and a 3D geometry are related by a mathematical relationship. When we say space is 3D, we mean space is modeled by a 3D mathematical space. And when we say spacetime is 4D we mean that spacetime is modeled by a 4D mathematical space.

And, if you say that spacetime is 3+1 dimensional - by acknowledging the +++- nature of the metric - all you're doing is adding a bit more information to the definition of a dimension.

In any case, you are saying nothing of any physical significance.

1. What is time as a dimension?

Time as a dimension refers to the concept of time being included as one of the four dimensions in our physical world, alongside length, width, and height. This means that time can be measured and quantified, just like the other dimensions, and it is an essential aspect of our understanding of the universe.

2. How is time different from other dimensions?

Unlike the other dimensions, time is perceived as a unidirectional flow. We can only move forward in time and cannot go back in time like we can in the other dimensions. Time also affects the other dimensions, as objects and events can change and move through space over time.

3. Can time be manipulated or controlled?

While we have ways of measuring and quantifying time, we currently do not have the technology or ability to control time itself. However, we can manipulate our perception of time through things like relativity and time dilation, which can make time appear to pass faster or slower.

4. How does time affect our daily lives?

Time is an integral part of our daily lives, from the way we structure our routines to the way we measure and keep track of events. Time also plays a crucial role in various aspects of our society, such as the economy, transportation, and communication.

5. How does the concept of time as a dimension impact scientific research?

The inclusion of time as a dimension in scientific research allows for a better understanding of how events and phenomena occur and change over time. It also allows for the prediction and modeling of future events, such as the movement of celestial bodies or the effects of climate change.