Time complexity for an OS to find a file/directory?

• Thread starter kolleamm
  • Start date
What is the time complexity for an OS to find a file? Is it O(1) time?

Let's say for example, you had a billion files in a single folder, and you wanted to load a file into a string in your program, would the system find a specific file right away, or would there be a longer wait?

Let's assume an OS like Windows.

What is the time complexity for an OS to find a file? Is it O(1) time?

Let's say for example, you had a billion files in a single folder, and you wanted to load a file into a string in your program, would the system find a specific file right away, or would there be a longer wait?

Let's assume an OS like Windows.
Older OS (since Windows 2000 or NT 4) have the utility for files to be indexed, therefore time to find a file in indexed database is ~ln(N), which is slightly slower than O(0). The indexing is active by default and run fully automatically in Windows 7 or Windows 10, but is absent in Windows 8.
Most of Unix/Linux versions also use a sort of indexing/hashing of file tree.

Older OS (since Windows 2000 or NT 4) have the utility for files to be indexed, therefore time to find a file in indexed database is ~ln(N), which is slightly slower than O(0). The indexing is active by default and run fully automatically since Windows 7.
Do you mean O (log n)? Which would be the time complexity for a binary tree search.

Yes, exactly
Ah I see, and by indexing do you mean alpha numerical order? I'm guessing by the ascii values of the characters?

Ah I see, and by indexing do you mean alpha numerical order? I'm guessing by the ascii values of the characters?
As i know, indexing is done by hashing the filename, and then by searching binary tree of hashes. Because hashes are shorter than full-path filenames, (4 to 16 bytes), the search is faster. Of course, this way do not work for templates, only for exact file names.

As i know, indexing is done by hashing the filename, and then by searching binary tree of hashes. Because hashes are shorter than filenames, (4 to 16 bytes), the search is faster. Of course, this way do not work for templates, only for exact file names.
Wow I never knew, thanks for the info!

Tom.G

Science Advisor
Donald Knuth's "The Art and Science of Computer Programming, Volume 3"
"THE ART OF COMPUTER PROGRAMMING, Volume 3/Sorting and Searching" Donald Knuth, ADDISON-WESLEY PUBLISHING COMPANY, Reading, Massachusetts. 1973, ISBN 0-201-03803-X

There are later editions.

'The Bible.' Highly recommended!

Cheers,
Tom

harborsparrow

Gold Member
It's a huge text tree search. Lots of possible searches, and even if indexing, lots of ways to index (and keep an index updated). Worst case can be quite bad, especially if a file was just added and hasn't made it into the index yet, or if you are using regular expressions and there are a gazillion candidates for consideration.