Time-dependent delta-function perturbation

In summary, the conversation discusses a system with a perturbation and the use of the method of variation of constants to find the time-dependent coefficients. The speaker suggests treating the delta-function as a limit in a series of rectangles and using a constant A in place of ##\delta##. The solution is independent of A and taking the limit is straightforward. The conversation concludes with the question of what expression(s) were obtained after taking the integral from -B to B.
carllacan

Homework Statement

We have a system whose state can always be expressed as the sum of two states ##\Psi_a## and ##\Psi_b##. the system undergoes a perturbation of the form ##H'=U\delta(t)##, where ##\delta## is the delta-function in time and ##U_{aa} = U_{bb} = 0## and ## U_{ab} = U_{ba}^*##. Find the (time-dependent) coefficients of the system under such perturbation.

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pertur...m_mechanics)#Method_of_variation_of_constants
image027.gif
, where V is ##U##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Griffiths (from whose book I got this exercise) suggests treating the delta-function as a limit in a series of rectangles, so I wrote the integral from -B to B and with a constant A in place of ##\delta##, intending to later take the limit when B → 0 and A→∞.

My solution, however, turns out to be independent of A (before taking limits), so I think it's wrong.

How would you approach this?

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are right that the integral will not depend on A (or B). So, taking the limit will be easy!

Your approach looks good to me. What expression(s) did you get after taking the integral from -B to B?

1. What is a time-dependent delta-function perturbation?

A time-dependent delta-function perturbation is a mathematical approach used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a system when it is subjected to a sudden change or impulse. It involves the use of the Dirac delta function to represent the perturbation in the system's Hamiltonian.

2. How is the time-dependent delta-function perturbation applied?

The time-dependent delta-function perturbation is applied by adding a term containing the Dirac delta function to the Hamiltonian of the system. This term represents the sudden change or impulse that the system is subjected to, and the perturbation can then be studied using mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory.

3. What is the significance of the Dirac delta function in this perturbation method?

The Dirac delta function is a mathematical function used to represent an impulse or point-like disturbance in a system. In the time-dependent delta-function perturbation method, it is used to represent the sudden change or impulse in the system's Hamiltonian, allowing for the study of its effects on the system's behavior.

4. Can the time-dependent delta-function perturbation be used to study any system?

Yes, the time-dependent delta-function perturbation method is a widely applicable approach that can be used to study a variety of systems in quantum mechanics. It is particularly useful for systems that experience sudden changes or impulses, such as those caused by external forces or interactions with other particles.

5. Are there any limitations to the time-dependent delta-function perturbation method?

Like any mathematical approach, the time-dependent delta-function perturbation method has its limitations. It is most effective when the perturbation is small and short-lived, and it may not accurately model systems with large or long-lasting perturbations. Additionally, the method assumes that the perturbation does not significantly alter the system's energy levels, which may not always be the case.