1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time-dependent delta-function perturbation

1. Jul 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have a system whose state can always be expressed as the sum of two states ##\Psi_a## and ##\Psi_b##. the system undergoes a perturbation of the form ##H'=U\delta(t)##, where ##\delta## is the delta-function in time and ##U_{aa} = U_{bb} = 0## and ## U_{ab} = U_{ba}^*##. Find the (time-dependent) coefficients of the system under such perturbation.

2. Relevant equations
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pertur...m_mechanics)#Method_of_variation_of_constants
    image027.gif , where V is ##U##.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Griffiths (from whose book I got this exercise) suggests treating the delta-function as a limit in a series of rectangles, so I wrote the integral from -B to B and with a constant A in place of ##\delta##, intending to later take the limit when B → 0 and A→∞.

My solution, however, turns out to be independent of A (before taking limits), so I think it's wrong.

How would you approach this?

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you are right that the integral will not depend on A (or B). So, taking the limit will be easy!

Your approach looks good to me. What expression(s) did you get after taking the integral from -B to B?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted