Time dependent surface temperature of a nuclear fuel rod

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for data on the surface temperature of a fuel rod as a function of time, particularly in the context of using a model based on fractional calculus. The discussion also touches on the potential factors that can affect the surface temperature, such as the type of reactor (BWR or PWR), coolant conditions, and heat transfer coefficients. The possibility of heat transfer eventually reaching zero is also mentioned, leading to a request for additional insight or advice.
nukapprentice
I was wondering if anyone has any actual data on the surface temperature of a fuel rod as a function of time. I am really curious as I am trying out a model I found which uses the fractional calculus. Or if anyone could point in the right direction to find said data that would be great as well.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
nukapprentice said:
I was wondering if anyone has any actual data on the surface temperature of a fuel rod as a function of time. I am really curious as I am trying out a model I made using the fractional calculus. Or if anyone could point in the right direction to find said data that would be great as well.
BWR or PWR?

Unless one has a thermocouple on the surface, the temperature must be derived from validated models, and possibly with temperature measurements from core inlet and outlet thermocouples.

In a BWR, there is some subcooling at the inlet, but much of the coolant is at saturated conditions, but the local coolant condition may be subcooled, saturated liquid, saturated liquid with nucleate boiling or liquid+steam in bulk boiling.

In PWRs, the coolant inlet temperature varies (285 to 293°C) according to the particular reactor. The exit temperature may vary from 315 to 330°C depending on the rating of the fuel rod. The coolant mass flux can vary from about 3500 to 3800 kg/m2-s.

The coolant surface temperature depends on the coolant temperature (which is a function of the coolant inlet temperature and enthalpy rise in the subchannel) and the heat transfer coefficient. Ideally, the coolant surface temperature is not much more than 340°C for long periods of time, in order to minimize the corrosion of the cladding. But predicted temperatures can be on the order of 345 to 347°C, with nucleate boiling, and this may promote crud (metal (Fe,Ni,Cr) oxide) formation, in addition to the oxidation of the cladding surface. A key issue in control of activation products is the control of crud through pH control in the primary system, and possibly the use of Zn-injection in the primary system.

Thanks for the reply Astronuc and hope all is going well. I guess I wanted recorded data on the surface temperature because I found a model,(derived by Meyer in 1960 for wind tunnels) which used the fractional calculus to find that the surface heat flux is proportional to the surface temperature divided by the square root of time plus an integral involving the temperature(dimensionally also comes out to being divided by t^1/2). This means that the flux decreases as time increases, meaning that it goes to zero at a long enough time. The only way I think that the flux would eventually go to zero is when the water temp becomes equal to the surface temp, i.e. there is no potential for heat to transfer from the rod to the coolant. However since the water is flowing past the surface, heat should be still transferring. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Sorry, also meant to say that this is for a PWR.

Last edited:

I can provide some information on the time-dependent surface temperature of a nuclear fuel rod. First, it is important to note that the surface temperature of a fuel rod is affected by various factors such as the type of fuel, reactor design, and operating conditions. Therefore, the data on surface temperature may vary depending on these factors.

That being said, there are numerous studies and experiments that have been conducted to measure the surface temperature of fuel rods over time. These studies have shown that the surface temperature of a fuel rod increases as it is exposed to radiation and fission reactions, reaching a peak temperature and then gradually decreasing over time due to cooling mechanisms.

In terms of data, you can find published studies and reports from nuclear research organizations or academic journals that provide information on the time-dependent surface temperature of fuel rods. Additionally, some nuclear power plants may also have data on the surface temperature of their fuel rods, which may be available upon request.

Regarding the use of fractional calculus in modeling the surface temperature of fuel rods, it is a relatively new approach and may require further validation and refinement. However, it can be a useful tool in understanding the behavior of fuel rods and predicting their surface temperature over time.

I hope this information helps and guides you in your research. It is always important to consult reliable sources and conduct thorough research when working on scientific models and experiments. Best of luck in your endeavors.

1. How does the surface temperature of a nuclear fuel rod change over time?

The surface temperature of a nuclear fuel rod changes over time due to the decay heat generated by the radioactive materials in the fuel. As the fuel decays, it releases energy in the form of heat, causing the temperature to increase. This process is known as self-heating and continues until the fuel is depleted.

2. What factors affect the time dependent surface temperature of a nuclear fuel rod?

The time dependent surface temperature of a nuclear fuel rod is affected by several factors, including the initial temperature of the fuel, the rate of heat generation from radioactive decay, the thermal conductivity of the fuel material, and the cooling mechanisms in place.

3. How is the surface temperature of a nuclear fuel rod measured?

The surface temperature of a nuclear fuel rod is typically measured using thermocouples, which are small sensors that can measure temperature changes. These thermocouples are placed at various points on the surface of the fuel rod and provide real-time data on the temperature changes.

4. What happens if the surface temperature of a nuclear fuel rod gets too high?

If the surface temperature of a nuclear fuel rod gets too high, it can lead to a phenomenon known as fuel melting. This occurs when the fuel material becomes too hot and begins to melt, potentially causing damage to the fuel rod and releasing radioactive materials. To prevent this, cooling mechanisms are in place to keep the surface temperature within safe limits.

5. How does the time dependent surface temperature of a nuclear fuel rod impact the overall performance of a nuclear reactor?

The time dependent surface temperature of a nuclear fuel rod is an important factor in the overall performance of a nuclear reactor. If the temperature is too high, it can lead to fuel melting and potentially cause a reactor malfunction. On the other hand, if the temperature is too low, it can decrease the efficiency of the reactor and affect its power output. Maintaining a stable and safe surface temperature is crucial for the proper functioning of a nuclear reactor.