Time for going from one point of earth surface to another

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of motion for a particle inside the Earth's surface and its relation to SHM. The equation ## \ddot r = \frac { -gr} R ## is derived and it is mentioned that it holds true even if the tunnel is not passing through the center. However, it is pointed out that for SHM, the displacement should be along the tunnel and at the midpoint, the displacement and force should be zero, which is not the case with the given equation.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-13_11-47-0.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The thing to remember is that inside the Earth surface, the gravitational field does not remain inversely proportional to ##r^2##.

The equation of motion is

## \ddot r = \frac { -gr} R## ....(1)

This means that the particle will oscillate between the two points on the surface with angular frquency ## \omega = \sqrt{ \frac { g} R}##. ...(2)

## T= \frac { 2\pi } {\omega }##...(3)

The required time is ## \frac { T} 2 = 42.3 ~ min##...(4)

Hence, the correct option is (c).

The time taken for going from one point to another point of the Earth surface is independent of the distance between the two points.

Then, when I go into an underground room, I need to move for going from one point to another. Is it because of friction force?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-13_11-47-0.png
    upload_2017-12-13_11-47-0.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 884
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 216656

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The thing to remember is that inside the Earth surface, the gravitational field does not remain inversely proportional to ##r^2##.

## \ddot r = \frac { -gr} R##

This means that the particle will oscillate between the two points on the surface with angular frquency ## \omega = \sqrt{ \frac { g} R##.

## T= \frac { 2\pi } {\omega }##

The required time is ## \frac { T} 2 = 42.3 ~ min##.

Hence, the correct option is (c).

The time taken for going from one point to another point of the Earth surface is independent of the distance between the two points.

Then, when I go into an underground room, I need to move for going from one point to another. Is it because of friction force?

If the tunnel was thru the centre, then that formula comes out immediately. How do you justify the SHM for a tunnel near the surface?

Otherwise, what's your question?

PeroK said:
If the tunnel was thru the centre, then that formula comes out immediately. How do you justify the SHM for a tunnel near the surface?
I don't know about which formula are you talking?
In writing the following equation,

Pushoam said:

## \ddot r = \frac { -gr} R ##....(1)
I din't assume that the tunnel is passing through the center.
Even for the tunnel not passing through the center, I think the eqn (1) is valid. Is this wrong?

Pushoam said:
I don't know about which formula are you talking?
In writing the following equation,I din't assume that the tunnel is passing through the center.
Even for the tunnel not passing through the center, I think the eqn (1) is valid. Is this wrong?
What does ##r## represent? For SHM it should be the displacement along the tunnel.

Only when the tunnel is thru the centre does this displacement coincide with the displacement from the centre.

PeroK said:
What does rrr represent? For SHM it should be the displacement along the tunnel.
I took it as the displacement from the center.
PeroK said:
For SHM it should be the displacement along the tunnel.
I am not getting why it should be so.
It seems as if I assumed that the tunnel is passing through the center unknowingly while writing equation (1).

Pushoam said:
I took it as the displacement from the center.

I am not getting why it should be so.
It seems as if I assumed that the tunnel is passing through the center unknowingly while writing equation (1).

When the object is at the midpoint of the tunnel, according to SHM, the force and acceleration should be zero.

But, at the midpoint of the tunnel ##r \ne 0##, so the formula cannot be correct in the form you have.

Also, for SHM, the displacement at the midpoint should be 0. In your equation ##r## is always positive, so additionally the force would not change sign.

Likes Pushoam
PeroK said:
When the object is at the midpoint of the tunnel, according to SHM, the force and acceleration should be zero.

But, at the midpoint of the tunnel r≠0r≠0r \ne 0, so the formula cannot be correct in the form you have.

Also, for SHM, the displacement at the midpoint should be 0. In your equation rrr is always positive, so additionally the force would not change sign.

I will reply to you after digesting it. Thanks for it.

1. How long does it take to travel from one point on Earth's surface to another?

The time it takes to travel from one point on Earth's surface to another depends on various factors, such as the mode of transportation, distance between the two points, and any potential delays or stops along the way. For example, a flight from New York City to Los Angeles typically takes around 6 hours, while driving the same distance can take around 41 hours.

2. Can the time for travel between two points on Earth's surface be affected by the Earth's rotation?

Yes, the Earth's rotation can affect the time for travel between two points on its surface. This is known as the Coriolis effect, which is caused by the rotation of the Earth and can impact the direction and speed of air and water currents. This effect is most noticeable in long-distance travel, such as flights that cross multiple time zones.

3. How does the Earth's curvature affect travel time between two points on its surface?

The Earth's curvature can also impact travel time between two points on its surface. This is because the Earth is not a perfect sphere, but rather an oblate spheroid shape. Therefore, the distance between two points on its surface is not a straight line, but rather a curved path. This can affect travel time, especially for longer distances.

4. Are there any time zone changes when traveling between two points on Earth's surface?

Yes, there can be time zone changes when traveling between two points on Earth's surface. Time zones are based on longitudinal lines, and as you travel east or west, the time will change accordingly. This can affect the time it takes to travel between two points, as you may gain or lose hours depending on the direction you are traveling.

5. How does the Earth's tilt affect travel time between two points on its surface?

The Earth's tilt does not directly affect travel time between two points on its surface. However, it can indirectly impact travel time by affecting the seasons and weather conditions in different regions. This can lead to potential delays or changes in travel plans, especially for long-distance travel.