Time for Revolution (Rotating about the Center of Mass)

In summary: I get 40 seconds, like you did, except when I do the arithmetic properly, which you should do, I get 39.8 seconds.
Redfire66

Homework Statement

Two men with masses 70 kg and 120 kg rotate at 1 rpm on a frictionless surface and are attached by a 15 m rope.
If they pull the rope so that only 10 m is between them when they rotate, how long does it take to make 1 revolution?

Homework Equations

Angular Momentum and Inertia

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found the center of masses for when the distances are 15 m apart and 10 m apart. I assume that angular momentum is conserved since there's nothing that really seems to affect it when I read it.
So L = L
Then Inertia = sum mr^2
Hence (m1r1^2 + m2r2^2)w1 = (m1r3^2 + m2r4^2)w2 where r1, r2, are distances from the center of mass for the 15 m, and r3 and r4 are the distances from the center of mass for the 10 m distance.
I1w1 = I2w2; I'm kind of confused by most of the radian conversions and such.
For what I got I1 = 9947.4kgm^2 and I2 = 4420.8kgm^2
Putting this together I got 9947(2pi rad/60s) = 4421(w2) then w2 = 2 .3rad/s. I assume I did something wrong, also I can't figure how I would convert it to 1 revolution, would I divide it by 2pi*r?
I did try it however it should be 40 seconds given as the answer in my book which I did not get

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Redfire66 said:
9947(2pi rad/60s) = 4421(w2) then w2 = 2 .3rad/s
Check your arithmetic.
Redfire66 said:
1 revolution, would I divide it by 2pi*r?
2π radians is one full circle. Multiplying by r gives you the length of the arc, or circumference.

Bystander said:
Check your arithmetic.

2π radians is one full circle. Multiplying by r gives you the length of the arc, or circumference.
Okay thanks I'll look into it.
Edit: yeah I actually meant 2pir/w instead. Mistyped

Redfire66 said:
I meant 2rpi/w. However that doesn't yield anything
It yields m/s, which you are not interested in for this problem. Pay attention to units.
Redfire66 said:
What do you mean by checking my arithmetic?
When I suggest that you check your arithmetic, it means you've made an error, and you should go through your work and find it.

It is always better, for a raft of reasons, to work entirely symbolically, only plugging in numbers as the final step.
In this case, it would have avoided the conversion to rad/s and back, which seems to have confused you. You could have worked with rpm throughout instead, but keeping it symbolic you don't care about units until the numbers are plugged in.
By the way, the book answer is wrong, as I expect you will discover.

What is rotating about the center of mass?

Rotating about the center of mass refers to the motion of an object or system where all points move in a circular path around a central point, which is the center of mass. This type of rotation is important in physics and engineering as it allows for the analysis and understanding of rotational motion.

What is the significance of rotating about the center of mass?

Rotating about the center of mass is significant because it simplifies the analysis of rotational motion. By considering the motion of an object or system as a whole, rather than individual points, calculations and predictions can be made more accurately and efficiently.

What factors affect the rotational motion of an object rotating about the center of mass?

The rotational motion of an object rotating about the center of mass is affected by several factors, including the mass distribution of the object, the distance of the object from the center of mass, and the torque applied to the object. These factors determine the object's moment of inertia and angular acceleration.

How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion is different from linear motion in that it involves the movement of an object or system in a circular path around a central point, rather than in a straight line. Additionally, rotational motion is described using different quantities, such as angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration, compared to linear motion which uses displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

What are some real-life examples of objects rotating about the center of mass?

Some real-life examples of objects rotating about the center of mass include planets orbiting around the sun, a spinning top, a rotating bicycle wheel, and a swinging pendulum. Understanding the principles of rotating about the center of mass can also be applied in various fields such as engineering, sports, and astronomy.