Time is an illusion? Einsteinian Ideas reflected.

• Thread starter Niaboc67
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas Time
In summary: I suggest you seek out a more in-depth explanation if you are truly interested.In summary, according to Einstein, "Time is an illusion" and it is only what we measure with our wristwatch that has physical meaning. Special relativity explains how we can work with this and still make sense of it all.
Niaboc67
Einstein is quoted as saying "Time is an illusion" others have made utterances throughout the scientific and added that past, present and future all exist in the same form/frame. However, what scientific evidence is there of this? is it mere speculation?

Source:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think he ever said that; the person who posted that video appears to be interpreting something that isn't in it. The video is using that as a way to explain relativity of simultaneity.

In either case, Relativity is exquisitely well proven by experiments.

I'm moving this thread to special and general relativity, and perhaps it doesn't even belong there. (General physics might be a better home.)

I only got through the first five minutes of the video. Too much physics woo! I'm not a fan of those popularizations of science that wallow in the woo.

I don't have time to write a decent response. To those that do proffer a response, please keep in mind the nature of the question. This question was not asked by someone with a degree in physics. Try to keep it fairly simple.

Niaboc67 said:
Einstein is quoted as saying "Time is an illusion" others have made utterances throughout the scientific and added that past, present and future all exist in the same form/frame. However, what scientific evidence is there of this? is it mere speculation?

Source:

Don't you want to also figure out what is defined as an "illusion"? After all, you want to know if time is such a thing. Shouldn't you care first of all, when you come across something like this, on what is meant by an "illusion"?

A mirage is an illusion to most people. Do you think the concept of time has the SAME flimsy existence as a mirage? Would physics use such an illusion to not only having a well-defined quantity, but also as a foundation for all of its theories? Think about it!

Zz.

Niaboc67 said:

Source:

Can you provide a reference, hopefully online, where Einstein made the statement "Time is an illusion"?

I can give you a reference where Einstein made statements about time that would be at variance with your claim:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/

Look at the first article entitled "Definition of Simultaneity". There you will see Einstein defining "Time" and he never suggests that it is an illusion. He does say that it is possible to have a description of time that has no physical meaning but then he points out that it is necessary to have a clear definition of time which he then proceeds to do.

"Meanings" come from "definitions" and Einstein's fundamental definition of time is that it is what a watch (or clock) measures. I think that is a very simple concept that even young children can understand, don't you think?

Niaboc67 said:
Einstein is quoted as saying "Time is an illusion"
It is a misquote. The quote is: "the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion". This simply refers to the relativity of simultaneity, not the non-existence of time as a whole.

I remember this episode of NOVA; I didn't like it.

Time is the same for everyone - if you mean the time which they experience, and measure with their own "wristwatch"; this is called "proper time" in the lingo of special relativity.

According to Newton, this is the only time there is - the same everywhere, flowing equally in all places and all times.

But by Einstein's day it was known that something was wrong with this description - it was incompatible with Maxwell's equations for electromagnetism, and some disturbing experimental results were indicating that some changes were required. Poincare was the first to elaborate, correctly, on the "relativity of time" - and gave it this name. You can find some of the quotes and references here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativity_priority_dispute

The answer was that while "proper time" works the same for everybody, if you watch the "proper clock" of something which is moving fast relative to your position - then you will "see" their clock running slow. Furthermore, if multiple observers are in motion relative to each other, they will disagree on which events are simultaneous.

However, Special Relativity tells us how to work with this, and make sense of it all. A good place to start is Taylor & Wheeler's "Spacetime Physics". A few new tools are required, but nothing beyond algebra, and some patience.

When you are done you will see that while time is not an illusion; instead it must be treated as one of four dimensions of spacetime, but following rules that differ from Newton and Galileo ... rules that are compatible with Maxwell's electrodynamics.

BTW, there is an immense amount of experimental support for Special Relativity; it is one of the best tested theories available. Plus if it were wrong, then there would be inconsistencies within Maxwell's equations - and they are in use everywhere for electrical and electronic devices, from motors to cell phones, from mirrors to lasers.

DaleSpam said:
It is a misquote. The quote is: "the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion". This simply refers to the relativity of simultaneity, not the non-existence of time as a whole.
That's good. Where did he say that?

russ_watters said:
I don't think he ever said that

I don't either; I've been unable to find any credible source. Most of the sites that claim he did are drifting in the limbo between woo and crackpottery, and misinterpreting something that he did say: "The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."

ghwellsjr said:
I'm not sure if it is a quote or paraphrase, but it is discussed about 5 min into the video and it is pretty clearly talking about simultenaity.

Niaboc67 said:

Source:

Douglas Adams put it this way:
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

ghwellsjr said:

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Present) cites a source as:

"13. Letter from Einstein to the family of his lifelong friend Michele Besso, after learning of his death, (March 1955) as quoted in Science and the Search for God: Disturbing the Universe (1979) by Freeman Dyson, Ch. 17, "A Distant Mirror", ; also quoted at-Einstein's God (NPR)

1. What does it mean when people say "time is an illusion"?

When people say "time is an illusion," they are referring to the concept that time is not a fixed and absolute concept, but rather a subjective experience that is influenced by factors such as perception and relativity. This idea is rooted in the theories of Albert Einstein, who proposed that time is relative and can be experienced differently by different observers.

2. How did Einstein's ideas contribute to the concept of time as an illusion?

Einstein's theory of relativity proposed that time is not a constant, but rather a relative concept that can be influenced by factors such as gravity and velocity. This idea challenged the traditional notion of time as a fixed and absolute concept, and contributed to the concept of time as an illusion.

3. Does this mean that time does not exist?

No, the idea that "time is an illusion" does not mean that time does not exist at all. While it may not be a fixed and absolute concept, time still plays a crucial role in our daily lives and the functioning of the universe.

4. How does the illusion of time affect our perception of reality?

Our perception of time can greatly influence our perception of reality. For example, time may seem to pass more quickly or slowly depending on our current state of mind or the situation we are in. Additionally, the concept of time as an illusion challenges our traditional understanding of cause and effect, as events may not necessarily occur in a linear fashion.

5. Can we ever fully understand the concept of time as an illusion?

It is difficult to say whether we will ever fully understand the concept of time as an illusion. As our understanding of the universe and its laws continues to evolve, our understanding of time may also change. However, the concept of time as an illusion may always remain a philosophical and abstract concept that is open to interpretation and debate.