Time it takes for an electron to travel a set distance

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 8K views
Reprisal35
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In a CRT tube, electrons are accelerated by a 20,000 V potential difference between the electron gun (the cathode) and the positive metal mesh 5.00 cm away.
a. What is the electron’s speed when it reaches the positive wire mesh?
b. How much time does it take the electron to reach the wire mesh?

Homework Equations


[itex]U = q∆V\\<br /> K = \frac{1}{2}mv^2\\<br /> F = ma\\<br /> F = qE \\<br /> E = \frac{V}{d}\\<br /> d = d_0 + (v_0)(t) + \frac{1}{2}(a)(t^2)\\[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


For part A, I got the following which is actually the same example we did in class.

[itex] U = K\\<br /> q∆V = \frac{1}{2}mv^2\\<br /> (1.6*10^{-19}C)(20000\frac{J}{C}) = \frac{1}{2}(9.1*10^{-31}kg)(v^{2})\\<br /> 3.2*10^{-15}J = 4.55*10^{-31}kg(v^{2}) \\<br /> (3.2*10^{-15}J)/(4.55*10^{-31}kg) = v^{2} \\<br /> 7.033*10^{15}\frac{m^{2}}{s^{2}} = v^{2} \\<br /> v = √7.033*10^{15}\frac{m^{2}}{s^{2}} \\<br /> v = 8.386*10^{7}\frac{m}{s}\\[/itex]

Where I'm getting a bit paranoid is part B.

At first I thought, in order to get ##t##, all we needed to do was use the formula, ##t = \frac{d}{v}## and I got an answer of ##5.96*10^{-10}s##, but that seems to simple for this kind of problem.

So then I decided to use a combination of several formulas we learned in the past in order to determine the time it takes for an electron to travel a set distance.

Here's what I did:

[itex] F = ma\\<br /> F = qE \\<br /> E = \frac{V}{d}\\<br /> ma = \frac{qV}{d}\\<br /> a= \frac{qV}{dm}\\<br /> d = d_0 + (v_0)(t) + \frac{1}{2}(a)(t^2)\\<br /> d = \frac{1}{2}(a)(t^2)\\<br /> d = \frac{1}{2}[\frac{qV}{dm}](t^2)\\<br /> 2d = \frac{qV}{dm}(t^2)\\<br /> \frac{2d^{2}m}{qV} = t^2\\<br /> t = √\frac{2d^2m}{qV}\\<br /> t = √\frac{(2)(.05m)^{2}(9.1*10^{-31}kg)}{(1.6*10^{-19}C)(20,000\frac{J}{C})}\\<br /> t = √\frac{4.55*10^{-33}}{3.2*10^{-15}}\\<br /> t = √1.422*10^{-18}s\\<br /> t = 1.19*10^{-9}s\\[/itex]

Now looking back at my second attempt, it seems a bit ridiculous to do all that to get ##t##. So my question is, is my second attempt for getting ##t## correct or did I mess up?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Reprisal35 said:

Homework Statement


In a CRT tube, electrons are accelerated by a 20,000 V potential difference between the electron gun (the cathode) and the positive metal mesh 5.00 cm away.
a. What is the electron’s speed when it reaches the positive wire mesh?
b. How much time does it take the electron to reach the wire mesh?

Homework Equations


[itex]U = q∆V\\<br /> K = \frac{1}{2}mv^2\\<br /> F = ma\\<br /> F = qE \\<br /> E = \frac{V}{d}\\<br /> d = d_0 + (v_0)(t) + \frac{1}{2}(a)(t^2)\\[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


For part A, I got the following which is actually the same example we did in class.

[itex] U = K\\<br /> q∆V = \frac{1}{2}mv^2\\<br /> (1.6*10^{-19}C)(20000\frac{J}{C}) = \frac{1}{2}(9.1*10^{-31}kg)(v^{2})\\<br /> 3.2*10^{-15}J = 4.55*10^{-31}kg(v^{2}) \\<br /> (3.2*10^{-15}J)/(4.55*10^{-31}kg) = v^{2} \\<br /> 7.033*10^{15}\frac{m^{2}}{s^{2}} = v^{2} \\<br /> v = √7.033*10^{15}\frac{m^{2}}{s^{2}} \\<br /> v = 8.386*10^{7}\frac{m}{s}\\[/itex]

Where I'm getting a bit paranoid is part B.

At first I thought, in order to get ##t##, all we needed to do was use the formula, ##t = \frac{d}{v}## and I got an answer of ##5.96*10^{-10}s##, but that seems to simple for this kind of problem.

So then I decided to use a combination of several formulas we learned in the past in order to determine the time it takes for an electron to travel a set distance.

Here's what I did:

[itex] F = ma\\<br /> F = qE \\<br /> E = \frac{V}{d}\\<br /> ma = \frac{qV}{d}\\<br /> a= \frac{qV}{dm}\\<br /> d = d_0 + (v_0)(t) + \frac{1}{2}(a)(t^2)\\<br /> d = \frac{1}{2}(a)(t^2)\\<br /> d = \frac{1}{2}[\frac{qV}{dm}](t^2)\\<br /> 2d = \frac{qV}{dm}(t^2)\\<br /> \frac{2d^{2}m}{qV} = t^2\\<br /> t = √\frac{2d^2m}{qV}\\<br /> t = √\frac{(2)(.05m)^{2}(9.1*10^{-31}kg)}{(1.6*10^{-19}C)(20,000\frac{J}{C})}\\<br /> t = √\frac{4.55*10^{-33}}{3.2*10^{-15}}\\<br /> t = √1.422*10^{-18}s\\<br /> t = 1.19*10^{-9}s\\[/itex]

Now looking back at my second attempt, it seems a bit ridiculous to do all that to get ##t##. So my question is, is my second attempt for getting ##t## correct or did I mess up?

Can you show your working to get your answer in the bit I made red, so we can check you did it correctly.
 
PeterO said:
Can you show your working to get your answer in the bit I made red, so we can check you did it correctly.

Sure,

[itex] d = 0.05m\\<br /> v = 8.386∗10^7\frac{m}{s}\\<br /> v = \frac{d}{t}\\<br /> t = \frac{d}{v}\\<br /> t = \frac{0.05m}{8.386∗10^7\frac{m}{s}}\\<br /> t = 5.96*10^{-10}s[/itex]
 
Reprisal35 said:
Sure,

[itex] d = 0.05m\\<br /> v = 8.386∗10^7\frac{m}{s}\\<br /> v = \frac{d}{t}\\<br /> t = \frac{d}{v}\\<br /> t = \frac{0.05m}{8.386∗10^7\frac{m}{s}}\\<br /> t = 5.96*10^{-10}s[/itex]

OK, You have used the final velocity, not the average velocity.
 
PeterO said:
OK, You have used the final velocity, not the average velocity.

Well that makes sense now.

[itex] v_{avg} = \frac{v_0 + v_f}{2}\\<br /> v_{avg} = \frac{0 + 8.386∗10^7}{2}\\<br /> v_{avg} = 4.193*10^7\\<br /> t = \frac{0.05}{4.193*10^7}\\<br /> t = 1.192*10^{-9}s[/itex]

I feel kinda silly for forgetting to take the avg of speed... Thanks for pointing that out!

So both methods give the same answer. Is it safe to assume both methods work and that the answer is correct?
 
Reprisal35 said:
Well that makes sense now.

[itex] v_{avg} = \frac{v_0 + v_f}{2}\\<br /> v_{avg} = \frac{0 + 8.386∗10^7}{2}\\<br /> v_{avg} = 4.193*10^7\\<br /> t = \frac{0.05}{4.193*10^7}\\<br /> t = 1.192*10^{-9}s[/itex]

I feel kinda silly for forgetting to take the avg of speed... Thanks for pointing that out!

So both methods give the same answer. Is it safe to assume both methods work and that the answer is correct?

Seems reasonable to me.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
PeterO said:
Seems reasonable to me.

Awesome! Thanks again!