What Percent of Final Charge Does a Capacitor Reach After 4.5 Time Constants?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
itryphysics
Messages
114
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Consider an RC circuit in which a capacitor is being charged by a battery connected in a circuit. Initially the capacitor is uncharged. Then the switch is closed.
After a time equal to 4.5 time constants, what percent of the final charge is present on the capacitor?


Homework Equations


Q = Qo [1 - e^ (-t/RC)]



The Attempt at a Solution



I picked a value of 100 for Qo
so
Q= 100 [1 - e^ (-t/4.5)]
my approach was going to be to find Q and then see wht percent that is of the initial charge Qo
but I don't know wht to put in for the time "t"
please help me out
 
Physics news on Phys.org
so for the expression e^(-t/RC) I do e^(-4.5) ?
 
4.5 time constants means a time of 4.5*R*C.
R*C comes out in units of time.
 
itryphysics said:
so for the expression e^(-t/RC) I do e^(-4.5) ?

Yes that should do it.