Time ordering operator, interaction Lagrangian, QED

In summary, the problem statement involves calculating a quantity using the time-ordering operator and a Lagrangian function. The solution should include terms up to second order in the coupling constant. To simplify the expression, one can use properties of the time-ordering operator and the nature of the initial and final states.
askalot

Homework Statement

I am trying to calculate the following quantity:
$$<0|T\{\phi^\dagger(x_1) \phi(x_2) exp[i\int{L_1(x)dx}]\}|0>$$

where:

$$ L_1(x) = -ieA_{\mu}[\phi^*
(\partial_\mu \phi ) - (\partial_\mu \phi^*)\phi] $$[/B]

I am trying to find an expression including the propagators, wick's theorem, and then calculate the Feynman diagrams in position space.
The solution should include terms of up to ## e^2 ## order.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if the Lagrangian ## L_1(x) ## is the interaction Lagrangian, so that I should use it as it is in the integral, or if I should extract an interaction Lagrangian out of it.
I also have to tell you that I am not expected to calculate complex integrals in every detail, or be occupied with infinities.
[/B]

askalot said:
I am not sure if the Lagrangian ## L_1(x) ## is the interaction Lagrangian, so that I should use it as it is in the integral,

Look in your problem statement. It says "where L1(x) = ... " and L1(x) is what appears in the integral.

As to solving the problem: Look up the properties of the time-ordering operator and the nature of the <0| and |0> . There are operations you can perform on the T operator to simplify your expression. Your text should give you some examples of what I am talking about.

1. What is the time ordering operator?

The time ordering operator, denoted by T, is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to properly order the operators in a time-dependent equation. It ensures that operators are arranged in the correct chronological order, as time is a crucial factor in quantum mechanics.

2. What is an interaction Lagrangian?

An interaction Lagrangian is a mathematical function used in quantum field theory that describes the interaction between particles. It is a key component in the calculation of physical processes, such as scattering or decay, in particle physics.

3. How does the interaction Lagrangian relate to the time ordering operator?

The time ordering operator is used to properly order the operators in the interaction Lagrangian, which is a time-dependent equation. It ensures that the operators are arranged in the correct chronological order, as time is a crucial factor in quantum mechanics.

4. What is QED?

QED, or quantum electrodynamics, is a quantum field theory that describes the electromagnetic interaction between charged particles. It is a fundamental theory in physics, and it has been successfully used to explain and predict a wide range of phenomena in the subatomic world.

5. How is QED related to the time ordering operator and interaction Lagrangian?

In QED, the time ordering operator and interaction Lagrangian are used to calculate and describe the interactions between particles. The time ordering operator ensures that the operators in the interaction Lagrangian are arranged in the correct chronological order, while the interaction Lagrangian describes the specific interactions between particles in the theory.