Time to Drain An Atmospheric Tank

In summary: It would be something you would need to calculate empirically.Thanks for the help!In summary, the author is looking for help with differential equations and wants to know how to find the time required to drain a tank. The author has found an equation that will calculate the time required based on the head pressure and the cross sectional area of the tank.
bigNate
I am a little rusty on my differential equations as I haven't seen them in a few years! I am looking for some direction on a question on a first order ODE. I am trying to find the time required to drain a tank that is open to atmosphere. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on the volume (mass) and volumetric (mass) flow rate.

Open to the atmosphere simply means that the surface of the liquid or the gas is at 1 atm of pressure. For liquids, the pressure will increase with depth, which could affect mass flow rate. The drain opening will also influence flow rate.

I understand that the head pressure is going to decrease as the water level goes down which will affect the velocity of water leaving the tank...I am trying to develop an equation to get the time required to drain the tank.

This is directly from a PE exam review book:

The general ODE covering the set up is:
[tex]-A\frac{dH}{dt}=A_oC_o\sqrt{(2g \Delta H)}[/tex]

Integrating gives:

[tex]t=\frac{A\sqrt{\frac{2}{g}}}{A_o C_o}\left[H_i^{.5} - H_f^{.5}\right][/tex]

Where:
[tex]A[/tex]= the cross sectional area of the tank
[tex]A_o[/tex]= area of the flow orifice
[tex]g[/tex]= acceleration due to gravity
[tex]C_o[/tex]= orifice discharge coefficient (usually about 0.6)
[tex]H_i[/tex]= Initial tank head in ft.
[tex]H_f[/tex]= Final head

Give that a go and see how that does. Granted, if you have a very viscous fluid or the viscosity changes over time all bets are off since the Reynolds number is a function of that which then effects your discharge coefficient.

Last edited:
Thanks. I assume this was derived from using the Bernoulli equation and an unsteady state material balance? I didn't get the same term on the right hand side...do you have the derivation as well?

What is the geometry of the tank? Spherical? Cylindrical? If cylindrical, Vertical or horizontal?

It is a rectangular concrete tank

bigNate said:
Thanks. I assume this was derived from using the Bernoulli equation and an unsteady state material balance? I didn't get the same term on the right hand side...do you have the derivation as well?
It is definitely a product of the Bernoulli equation. It actually looks more like a plain square edge orifice flow equation.

What would the formula be taking into account frictional losses due to pipe length and fittings etc. for a piped outlet (open to atmos)?

krugan said:
What would the formula be taking into account frictional losses due to pipe length and fittings etc. for a piped outlet (open to atmos)?
You can include those losses into the final head (which is what that variable is there for). If you notice, the flow is going to be proportional to the delta head number. If you increase the outlet head, the flow decreases.

Fred,

Since the flow is constantly changing as it's draining the frictional losses will also change. How do you determine what frictional losses to use in the final head?

1. How do you calculate the time to drain an atmospheric tank?

The time to drain an atmospheric tank can be calculated using the formula t = (V/A)*ln(Pi/Pf), where t is the time in seconds, V is the volume of the tank in cubic meters, A is the cross-sectional area of the outlet in square meters, Pi is the initial pressure of the tank in pascals, and Pf is the final pressure of the tank in pascals.

2. What factors affect the time to drain an atmospheric tank?

The time to drain an atmospheric tank is affected by the volume of the tank, the cross-sectional area of the outlet, the initial and final pressures of the tank, and the type of fluid being drained. Other factors such as the size and shape of the tank, the temperature of the fluid, and the presence of any obstacles can also affect the draining time.

3. Can the time to drain an atmospheric tank be decreased?

Yes, the time to drain an atmospheric tank can be decreased by increasing the cross-sectional area of the outlet, reducing the volume of the tank, or increasing the initial pressure of the tank. Additionally, using a lower viscosity fluid can also decrease the draining time.

4. How does the type of fluid affect the time to drain an atmospheric tank?

The type of fluid being drained from an atmospheric tank can greatly affect the draining time. Fluids with higher viscosity, such as honey or molasses, will take longer to drain compared to fluids with lower viscosity, such as water or oil. This is because the flow rate is directly related to the viscosity of the fluid.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when draining an atmospheric tank?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when draining an atmospheric tank. It is important to make sure the tank is properly vented to prevent pressure buildup, which can lead to explosions. Proper protective gear should also be worn to avoid contact with hazardous fluids. It is also recommended to have a drainage plan in place and to follow proper procedures to avoid spills or leaks.