Time When Pendulum Clock is Put on Moon?

In summary, a pendulum clock that works perfectly on Earth is taken to the moon where g = 1.63 m/s^2. When the clock is started at 12:00 A.M. on the moon, it will read 10:55 A.M.
petern
A pendulum clock that works perfectly on Earth is taken to the moon where g = 1.63 m/s^2. If the clock is started at 12:00 A.M., what will it read on the moon 24 Earth hours?

The equation you would probably use is T = 2(pi)(sq. root of m/k)

Can someone get me started?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The pendulum clock works on SHM...how is angular velocity affected by the value of 'g' with a pendulum?

Use [tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}[/tex]are you allowed to use the value of g on earth? if so consider how you can express the acc.due to gravity on the moon in terms of 'g' on earth

Last edited:
I don't really understand but I know that since gravity is less on the moon, the pendulum doesn't swing farther out than on Earth and therefore the clock is slower than on earth.

I would find the ratio so on Earth but plugging g on Earth and on the moon into T = 2(pi)(sq. root of m/k). The ratio I got for moon to Earth was .783 to .319 or 1 to 2.45455.

So 24 h x 2.45455 = 58.9092 h. So the answer would be 10:55 A.M. on the third day. Did I do this problem correctly?

Is it possible that this is a trick question? Doesn't a pendulum clock tell time on Earth by way of the Earth's rotation? Wouldn't a pendulum clock on the Moon depend on the Moon's rotation? And isn't the swing speed completely irrelevant?

I don't think it is. My physics class isn't that advanced and we usually never have any trick questions. Thanks for the input anyways. Do you think I'm doing it right?

well the way I intended to do it was the method with finding the ratio...so i think it would be correct...not too sure if you have to take into account the rotation of the moon and such

I think I did it right because my teacher has gone over anything related to the rotation so thanks! Problem solved!

1. How does gravity affect the time of a pendulum clock on the moon?

Gravity on the moon is about 1/6th of that on Earth, meaning that it has less of an effect on the pendulum's swing. This results in a longer period of time between each swing, causing the clock to run slower.

2. Can a pendulum clock accurately measure time on the moon?

Yes, a pendulum clock can still accurately measure time on the moon. However, the time it measures will be different than on Earth due to the moon's lower gravity and atmospheric conditions.

3. Will a pendulum clock run at the same speed on the moon as it does on Earth?

No, a pendulum clock will run slower on the moon due to the lower gravity and atmospheric conditions. However, the difference in timekeeping will be minimal and can be adjusted for.

4. How does the atmosphere on the moon affect the time of a pendulum clock?

The moon has no atmosphere, meaning there is no air resistance to slow down or affect the pendulum's swing. This results in a more consistent and accurate time measurement.

5. Is it possible to use a pendulum clock to measure time on other celestial bodies?

Yes, pendulum clocks have been used to measure time on other celestial bodies such as Mars and the International Space Station. However, the time measurements will still be affected by the specific gravity and atmospheric conditions of each body.