Tin can with the least amount of tin

  • Thread starter Thread starter Elpinetos
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Elpinetos
Messages
47
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the smallest r and h for a tin can with Volume a) 1L b) V so that the amount of tin used is minimal

Homework Equations


[itex]V=r^{2}\pi h[/itex]
[itex]A=2\pi(r^{2}+h)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Since the area has to be minimal, I expressed r from V
[itex]r^{2}=\frac{V}{\pi h}[/itex]
and inputed it into the equation of A
[itex]A=2\pi(\frac{V}{\pi h}+h)[/itex]

Now I get the first derivative:
[itex]\frac{dh}{dA}=2\pi(\frac{-V}{\pi^{2}h^{2}}+1)[/itex]

I set this to equal 0, do the algebra and end up with
[itex]-1=\frac{-V}{\pi^{2}h^{2}} \\<br /> -\pi^{2}h^{2}=-V \\<br /> \pi^{2}h^{2}=V \\ <br /> h^{2}=\frac{V}{\pi^{2}}\\<br /> h=\frac{\sqrt{V}}{\pi}[/itex]

When I input this into the equation for r I get:
[itex]r=\frac{\sqrt[4]{V}}{\sqrt{\pi}}[/itex]

If I set [itex]V=1[/itex] it gives me ~0.32 for h and ~0.56 for r

The solution book tells me the solution is
[itex]r=\sqrt[3]{V(2\pi)}[/itex]
[itex]h=2\sqrt[3]{V(2\pi)}[/itex]

Which would give me totally different values for h and r

Where did I make a mistake? :(
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I cleaned up your LaTeX, which was pretty hard to read.
Elpinetos said:

Homework Statement


Find the smallest r and h for a tin can with Volume a) 1L b) V so that the amount of tin used is minimal

Homework Equations


[itex]V=r^{2}\pi h[/itex]
[itex]A=2(r^{2}+h)[/itex]
Your formula for area is wrong. The total surface area should include the cylinder, which is made from a rectangular piece, plus two circular end pieces.
Elpinetos said:

The Attempt at a Solution


Since the area has to be minimal, I expressed r from V
[itex]r^{2}=\frac{V}{\pi h}[/itex]
and inputed it into the equation of A
[itex]A=2\pi(\frac{V}{\pi h}+h)[/itex]

Now I get the first derivative:
[itex]\frac{dh}{dA}=2\pi(\frac{-V}{\pi^{2}h^{2}}+1)[/itex]

I set this to equal 0, do the algebra and end up with
[itex]-1=\frac{-V}{\pi^{2}h^{2}} \\<br /> -\pi^{2}h^{2}=-V \\<br /> \pi^{2}h^{2}=V \\ <br /> h^{2}=\frac{V}{\pi^{2}}\\<br /> h=\frac{\sqrt{V}}{\pi}[/itex]

When I input this into the equation for r I get:
[itex]r=\frac{\sqrt[4]{V}}{\sqrt{\pi}}[/itex]

If I set [itex]V=1[/itex] it gives me ~0.32 for h and ~0.56 for r

The solution book tells me the solution is
[itex]r=\sqrt[3]{V(2\pi)}[/itex]
[itex]h=2\sqrt[3]{V(2\pi)}[/itex]

Which would give me totally different values for h and r

Where did I make a mistake? :(
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Thank you, but I looked into my formula booklet just now and it tells me that the area is [itex]2r^{2}\pi+2r\pi h[/itex]which is [itex]2\pi(r^{2}+h)[/itex]

I just saw that I forgot to write it into my LaTeX above, but I still calculated with it, so that can't be it Oo

EDIT: I just saw I forgot the second r...
Nevermind... Thank you

>.<