1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tips for working while pursuing an undergrad?

1. Nov 22, 2014 #1
    I just transferred to a 4 year university from a community college. I got all of my gen. ed and core engineering classes out of the way at the community college while working 28 hours a week. It was a challenging balance, but I managed just fine. The difference now is not so much the difficulty of the classes, but the amount of extra-curriculars and projects I'm becoming involved in. There are just too many opportunities at a university to justify working to the point of barely having enough time to finish homework, especially with employers looking for project-oriented students. Has anyone had success with part-time, engineering related work while pursuing their degree. I'm very drawn to the idea of Solidworks freelancing and am getting my certification soon, but the start up costs ($5,000 annually) make it a foolish part-time investment. I'm already seeking co-op's, but I'd really like to work during the school year as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2014 #2
    Sounds to me like you are looking for difficulties, a scholastic overload and possible loss of investment. Don't do it, at least not until you get a semester or two into the 4 year program.

4. Nov 22, 2014 #3
    I transferred into the program as a junior, so I only have two years left. Three with a co-op. What I'm hearing is working during a school semester is a bad idea. I'll keep that in mind.

5. Nov 25, 2014 #4
    working and seriously involved engineering don't mix that well.

See how the first semester goes, exams and all, and then think about getting a job if you discover that you're getting good results without studying much. I still wouldn't do it though.

6. Dec 1, 2014 #5
    I would seriously encourage you not to work during the school year if you're studying engineering, UNLESS you really need the extra $$$.

You're building a set of very difficult-to-acquire skills as an engineering student, and they will require your full time and attention. Also, the difference in the level and depth of the mathematics you'll be expected to work fluently with between CC and university will be quite steep.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook