Tips in finding a research topic

In summary: I see. I hadn't thought about it like that.In summary, if you are a first year MS student and you don't know what to do with your research, you should talk to your advisor and get a list of projects they have available.
schrodingerscat11
Hello everyone. I'm a first year MS Physics student and I can't think of a research topic. :confused: I hope to start next year in my research (I'm still doing coursework and teaching right now.) Any tips on how to start on something? I don't want to continue my research in undergrad anymore. I kinda like to start anew.

All I know is that I am interested in light and atoms and chemistry. I have this desire to understand quantum mechanics. I have this fascination on how macro properties arises from micro interactions and processes (like ice has these properties because at micro-level this and that is happening.) I have this aesthetic fascination with light; they give me this mesmerized feeling. And I have this desire to improve the quality of life through better energy sources--more efficient, cleaner, and accessible for the third-world countries. Is there a line of research where these qualities converge? I was thinking of quantum optics, although I do not really know if this is the kind of field that suits the above description.

Also, I have this weird fascination with higher dimensions and time. I've been trying to understand what 4th dimension really means.

Lastly, I have this interest also in quantum mechanics and its relation with objective reality and consciousness..

Thank you very much for your time. :redface:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are a MS student, then you should have an advisor. And if you have to do a research topic, then you must also have or should appoint a supervisor/advisor who will supervise you on that research work. Why aren't you talking to someone like that?

I have no idea where you are and what type of a system you have at your school. But typically, you simply do not have the freedom to do whatever you like. If the area you want to pursue is not within the expertise of the existing faculty members at your school, this normally will not get any approval.

You really should be having this discussion with your advisor.

Zz.

Likes 1 person
Thank you for your reply. Normally, the department gives a list of advisers and their fields of expertise. The students then initiates to talk to the adviser of their choice. It is the prerogative of the professor on whether he would accept the student or not (which depends on the situation like if the professor has too many students to advise, he will refuse the student most probably.)

I just have some problem choosing the professor that is why I am looking for some advice here. :) I kinda have some snippets of the things that excite me though.

Just for clarity, in our school, normally a student would work with a part of the research project his adviser is doing. This is true, especially with the experimentalist and computational advisers who works on big, funded projects. Although, in some cases, especially the theorist advisers, they ask the students to suggest their topic and they usually start from there. I recently got my undergrad in the same school, took the topic my adviser gave, and in the middle of the work realized it's not what I wanted to do. I just finished it to get my degree. :(

I was hoping MS research would be less of a drudgery and more of an excitement if I work on a topic close to my heart.

Thanks again for your reply. :)

In situations like the one you've described, what you really should do it talk to a number of different professors about the projects they have available. Take a couple weeks. Book some time with each available professor. Ask some questions and just listen. Don't worry about trying to impress anyone with the level of question you ask. Just ask. Sometimes, they will have stuff to tell you that you weren't really aware of that may come across as really appealing... job prospects when you finish, the potential for the work to lead to a patent, travel, etc.

Then start cutting. Cut out the projects that aren't interesting and the professors you would prefer not to work with.

Break what's left into a short-list. Do some reading on each topic. If you're really having trouble at that point you can always go back to each professor and inquire a little more. And you may find yourself in a position where you have to choose between multiple good options, which really is a great position to be in.

In some cases you might have the opportunity to suggest your own project, but I would only recommend doing this if you already have something very specific in mind. Don't try to force it.

Likes 1 person
Oh, I see.. I've talked with two professors already.. They say they will allow me to visit their research meetings.. :) Thank you very much.. :D

1. How do I come up with a research topic?

There are several ways to come up with a research topic. One strategy is to identify a gap in the existing research in your field and focus on filling that gap. You can also look for current issues or controversies in your field and choose a topic related to those. Another approach is to brainstorm ideas based on your personal interests and experiences.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a research topic?

When choosing a research topic, you should consider the feasibility, relevance, and novelty of the topic. It should also align with your research interests, skills, and available resources. It is important to choose a topic that is not too broad or too narrow and has enough available information to support your research.

3. How can I ensure that my research topic is original?

To ensure that your research topic is original, you should conduct a thorough literature review to see what has already been published on the topic. This will help you identify any gaps in the existing research and ensure that your topic is not duplicating previous studies. You can also consult with your advisor or colleagues to get their input on the uniqueness of your topic.

4. How can I make sure that my research topic is relevant?

To make sure that your research topic is relevant, you should consider the current trends and issues in your field. Your topic should address a problem or question that is of interest and importance to the scientific community. You can also consult with experts in your field to get their opinions on the relevance of your topic.

5. What if I am having trouble finding a research topic?

If you are having trouble finding a research topic, you can try talking to your advisor or colleagues for suggestions. You can also attend conferences or read recent publications in your field to get ideas. Another option is to explore interdisciplinary topics or collaborate with other researchers to come up with a unique and interesting topic.