Tips on writing a formula in rigorous way

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to write a formula for P(l,1) which contains the sum of all the positive PFs. Options discussed include using the Heaviside function and introducing a new notation for the sum. Ultimately, the last option is chosen as the most clear and concise.
serbring
Dear,

I am writing a report of a tool I have developed where there is a chapter with all the formulas included in the tool. I have a formula like the following:

[tex]P(l,1)=\sum_k PF(k,l)[/tex]

but P(l,1) contains the sum of all the positive PFs, while P(l,2) contains the sum of all the negative PFs. Is there any elegant/rigorous way to write the formula?

thanks best regards

Mathematics news on Phys.org
With the Heaviside function: $$P(l,1)=\sum_k PF(k,l) \Theta(PF(k,l))$$
A bit ugly but compact:$$P(l,1)=\sum_{k,PF(k,l)>0} PF(k,l)$$
Maybe like this:$$P(l,1)=\sum_k \begin{cases} PF(k,l) &\mbox{if } PF(k,l)> 0 \\
0 & \mbox{else } \end{cases} $$
If you need this type of sum often, you could introduce it and then shorten it to $$P(l,1)=\sum_k PF(k,l)\: \mbox {where}\: PF(k,l)>0$$

Likes jedishrfu
Wow! How many options! Thanks

The first one is very elegant, I like it, but not fully clear for everyone. I would go for the last one!

What is the purpose of writing a formula in a rigorous way?

The purpose of writing a formula in a rigorous way is to ensure accuracy and eliminate ambiguity. A rigorous formula is clear and concise, leaving no room for misinterpretation.

What are the essential elements of a rigorous formula?

A rigorous formula should include clear and consistent notation, well-defined variables and parameters, and proper use of mathematical operations. It should also be written in a logical and organized manner.

How can I make sure my formula is rigorous?

To ensure your formula is rigorous, it is important to double-check your notation and make sure it is consistent throughout. You should also clearly define all variables and parameters and use proper mathematical conventions and symbols.

Why is it important to avoid using ambiguous language in a formula?

Ambiguous language in a formula can lead to confusion and misinterpretation. This can result in incorrect calculations and conclusions. Using clear and precise language helps to avoid these errors and ensures the formula is rigorous.

Are there any resources available for learning how to write formulas in a rigorous way?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning how to write formulas in a rigorous way. These include textbooks, online tutorials, and workshops. It is also helpful to seek feedback and guidance from experienced mathematicians or scientists.