Mastering TEM Grid Handling: Tips and Tricks for Successful Sample Preparation

• Thread starter fedaykin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tem Tips
In summary: It was too long ago to remember what it was. It was all endocrine research, so one kind of hormone or another probably. I was one of the few people in the lab allowed to use the microbalance, because I was careful to keep fingerprints off it and didn't bend the wires on the tiny trays on the balance, but picking up those little foil weigh boats took LOT of practice.Nice tips, thank you very much. I actually prepped my first viable sample today. Our acetone washer is very finicky, and it tends to blow out the form at coating if it's in a bad mood.In summary, using tweezers is not a good option due to the
fedaykin
I'm wondering if I can make this task easier, since I've ruined a lot of grids lately. Currently, I'm trying to use tweezers, but I lack the subtlety to grip them firmly enough without bending them.
We can't use vacuum on them since it would potentially contaminate our samples. I've thought about some sort of electrostatic device, but I think the same problem applies.

If you have any hints for using tweezers or ways to practice, I would greatly appreciate them. Thank you

Biology news on Phys.org
Why would vacuum contaminate samples, especially compared to tweezers?

It probably wouldn't, but that's the statement I was given when I asked about them. We do test for asbestos, but if we have asbestos fibers floating around, then we have bigger problems than my ruining grids.

Oh, and we use cleaned tweezers under a laminar flow hood, so if they do introduce contaminants, it's a very small amount. We confirm this with blanks on each sample.

To practice with tweezers without ruining grids, you could try making paper hole punches of aluminum foil and practice picking those up. They're bigger than the grids, but flimsy and hard to grab, so might be good enough for learning a gentle, stready touch. Use your non-dominant hand to brace the wrist of your dominant hand as you pick it up. Also, control your breathing. Your hands are steadiest on a slow exhale...just don't blow the sample away! Usually, these types of things just take practice to get the knack for it.

Moonbear said:
just don't blow the sample away!

Sounds like knowledge from experience!

atyy said:
Sounds like knowledge from experience!

Not with TEM (I've never had to do it...did some SEM work, but fortunately had an amazing technician who did most of it for me). I have done it with weighing out specks of dust on a microbalance, though. I used those little hole punches of foil as weigh boats.

Moonbear said:
Not with TEM (I've never had to do it...did some SEM work, but fortunately had an amazing technician who did most of it for me). I have done it with weighing out specks of dust on a microbalance, though. I used those little hole punches of foil as weigh boats.

Good lord! Do I dare ask what the specks of dust actually were?

I'd love to learn some TEM or SEM one day though (just enough to find it cool, but not do such back breaking work for a living).

atyy said:
Good lord! Do I dare ask what the specks of dust actually were?

It was too long ago to remember what it was. It was all endocrine research, so one kind of hormone or another probably. I was one of the few people in the lab allowed to use the microbalance, because I was careful to keep fingerprints off it and didn't bend the wires on the tiny trays on the balance, but picking up those little foil weigh boats took LOT of practice.

Nice tips, thank you very much. I actually prepped my first viable sample today. Our acetone washer is very finicky, and it tends to blow out the form at coating if it's in a bad mood.

Hehehe, I remember one of my biology instructors getting extremely angry at a guy for picking up our microbalance and "adjusting" the spacers on the bottom. I think he changed majors for some reason afterward.

What are TEM grids and why are they important?

TEM grids are small, thin, and flat pieces of material used to hold samples for transmission electron microscopy. They are important because they allow for the visualization of samples at very high magnifications, providing detailed information about their structure and composition.

How do I handle TEM grids properly?

TEM grids should be handled with care to avoid any damage or contamination. They should be handled with tweezers or specialized grid handling tools, and never touched with bare hands. They should also be kept in a clean and dry environment to prevent any unwanted particles from settling on the grid.

What are the common materials used for TEM grids?

The most common materials used for TEM grids are copper, nickel, and gold. These materials are thin enough to allow for electron transmission but also strong enough to hold the sample in place. Other materials, such as carbon, can also be used for specific applications.

How do I pick up TEM grids without damaging them?

To pick up a TEM grid, gently touch the edge of the grid with tweezers or a handling tool. Do not apply any pressure to the center of the grid as this can cause it to bend or break. If the grid is stuck to the surface, use a gentle twisting motion to release it.

Are there any tips for picking up TEM grids with carbon film?

When picking up a TEM grid with a carbon film, it is important to avoid touching the film with tweezers or handling tools. Instead, use the edge of the grid to pick up the sample. This will prevent any damage or contamination to the carbon film, which can affect the quality of the final image.