Mastering Analysis: Tips, Suggestions & Advice for Struggling Students

• Thread starter quasar_4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation is about struggling with an introductory analysis class, particularly with writing proofs. The lack of homework and a real textbook make it difficult to practice and check work. The person is seeking recommendations for additional resources, including MIT OpenCourseWare and Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis. Others suggest the "Blue Rudin" text as a helpful resource.
quasar_4
I am finding my introductory analysis class to be much harder for me than abstract or linear algebra or geometry, etc. I feel like my experience writing proofs doesn't help me at all! It doesn't help that we don't have homework due in the course, just exams, and we're using pdf notes instead of a real textbook (so I can't just do problems and check in the back).

I've picked up a copy of Wade's Intro. to Analysis to read on the side for help, just wondering if anyone can recommend any other useful sources that might help me. I can't really go to my professor's office looking for help on everything... :redface: but I really want to understand analysis and be able to do my homework. I think I have the most trouble doing these proofs that make you prove formulas work by induction, etc. (I feel okay about the completeness axiom, inf/sup proofs, etc.). I don't know if/when the proofs I write are correct or not (since we never have to turn them in).

Any advice, tips, suggestions for mastering analysis? I'm willing to put in a lot of time, but want to put it in the right area.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
MIT OpenCourseWare has http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/18-100BFall-2006/Assignments/index.htm" for its Analysis 1B course.

Also, I strongly recommend Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis, which I think is the text for the above course.

Good luck and persist!

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the suggestion about Rudin, if it is the one we old-timers weened on, known as "Blue Rudin" or, less politely, as "Baby Rudin". The writing was concise and well-organized.

1. What is "Mastering Analysis" and who is it for?

"Mastering Analysis" is a guidebook for students who are struggling with analysis in their academic studies. It provides tips, suggestions, and advice to help students improve their skills in this area and achieve academic success.

2. Why is analysis important for students?

Analysis is a critical thinking skill that is necessary for success in any academic discipline. It involves breaking down complex ideas or information and understanding their underlying components and relationships. This skill is important for students because it allows them to think critically, make connections, and draw conclusions based on evidence.

3. What kind of tips and suggestions does "Mastering Analysis" offer?

"Mastering Analysis" offers a variety of tips and suggestions for improving analysis skills, such as creating outlines, using graphic organizers, practicing active reading, and seeking feedback from peers or instructors. It also provides strategies for approaching different types of analysis tasks, such as literary analysis or data analysis.

4. Can "Mastering Analysis" benefit students in other areas besides academics?

Yes, the skills and techniques described in "Mastering Analysis" can also be applied in other areas of life, such as problem-solving in the workplace or making informed decisions in daily life. The critical thinking and analytical skills learned through this guidebook can be useful in any situation where one needs to think critically and analyze information.

5. Is "Mastering Analysis" suitable for all levels of students?

Yes, "Mastering Analysis" is designed for students at all levels, from high school to graduate school. The tips and suggestions offered in this guidebook can be applied to a variety of academic disciplines and can benefit students at any stage of their education.