To find the expectation value of momentum

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
johnny1
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



At time t=0 a particle is described by a one dimensional wavefunction
(capital)ψ(x,0)= (2a/)^(1/4) e^(-ikx)e^(-ax^2)
(three lines)=(2a/)^(1/4) e^(-ikx-ax^2)--------equation 1
k and a are real positive constants

Homework Equations



I think this is the one
<p subscript(x)> = ∫(from-inf to inf)[(capitalψ)*(x,t)(-i(hbar)(∂/∂x))capitalψ(x,t)]dx
for normalization ∫from-inf to inf e^-x^2 dx =√π
and ∫from-inf to inf e^-ibx dx=√π *e^(-b^2/4) where b is a real constant

The Attempt at a Solution



----
I verified that equation 1 is normalized
by completing the square and letting t=u/a I then integrate upon which I arrive at √(π/a) *e^(k^2/4a)

I know that *e(k^2/4a) is a phase factor which is irrelevant to the equation
so
integration of e^(-ikx-ax^2)=√(π/a)

since ∫-inf to inf IΨI^2dx=(Ψ*)(Ψ)=Ae(-ax^2)*Ae(-ax^2)=(A^2)e(-2ax^2)
and if e(-2ax^2)=√(π/2a)
then A^2=√(π/2a)
hence A=(2a/π)^(1/4)

Was it necessary to normalize
before I begin in attempting to answer the question

attempting to find<p subscript(x)>
<psubscriptx> =∫(Ψ*)(-ihbar(∂/∂x))(Ψ)=(e(-ax^2))(-ihbar((1/2)e^(-4ax^2))(e(-ax^2))
and here is where I am really worried
I don't know if for <psubscriptx> I am plugging in correctly
any ideas or advice?

----

Homework Statement


Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
johnny1 said:
I know that *e(k^2/4a) is a phase factor which is irrelevant to the equation

That is a real quantity, so it's not just a phase factor.
Was it necessary to normalize
before I begin in attempting to answer the question

It looks like it.

attempting to find<p subscript(x)>
<psubscriptx> =∫(Ψ*)(-ihbar(∂/∂x))(Ψ)=(e(-ax^2))(-ihbar((1/2)e^(-4ax^2))(e(-ax^2))

You didn't compute the derivative in the last expression.