To find the midpoint of a line AB,with the given points A and B

  • Thread starter Thread starter Abel I Daniel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Line Points
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Abel I Daniel
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


*)Given two points A=(4,3,2) and B=(-2,0,5).Find the unit vector extending from origin toward the midpoint of line AB


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Direction vector to AB=(-6,-3,3) and hence direction vector to its midpoint is (-3,-1.5,1.5)
So unit vector in the direction of (-3,-1.5,1.5) is (-3i-1.5j+1.5k)/√(9+2.25+2.25).

Is this the way to do it??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt that you have begun this correctly, but my maths is very rusty.

Perhaps you should take another look at it by first calculating the midpoint of line AB.
 
Abel I Daniel said:

Homework Statement


*)Given two points A=(4,3,2) and B=(-2,0,5).Find the unit vector extending from origin toward the midpoint of line AB


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Direction vector to AB=(-6,-3,3) and hence direction vector to its midpoint is (-3,-1.5,1.5)
So unit vector in the direction of (-3,-1.5,1.5) is (-3i-1.5j+1.5k)/√(9+2.25+2.25).

Is this the way to do it??

No. Look up the formula for the mid-point between two points.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
oh,i got wrong with the midpoint formula..so now the midpoint is (1,1.5,3.5).is it correct??
 
Abel I Daniel said:
oh,i got wrong with the midpoint formula..so now the midpoint is (1,1.5,3.5).is it correct??
That is the midpoint, yes.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person