Statics problem, finding the moment (torque) about a straight line

In summary, the task is to determine the moment of a vertical 800 lb force about the line through points C and D. To do this, the equation needed is (moment vector) = (unit vector) * ((position vector) X (force vector)). The unit vector for the CD line cannot have a component in the Y direction since it lies in the XZ plane. The position vector can be any two points along the line of force and the CD line. The correct unit vector is <0.164, 0, 0.986>. Using the values of the position vector <1.5, -3, -1> and force vector <0, 800, 0>, the moment is calculated to be
TPMF
1. Determine the magnitude and direction of the moment of the vertical 800 lb force about the straight line through points C and D. (See attachment for diagram)

2. I believe that the equation i need is (Moment vector)=(unit vector)*((position vector)X(Force Vector))

3. I feel that I working myself into a dead end. But, I think that The unit vector is 0.164i+0.986j+0k and the force vector is 0i-800j+0k
I am having trouble finding what the position vector needs to be, though as I said earlier, I think i am going about this the wrong way.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_04 Oct. 03 00.26.jpg
    ScreenHunter_04 Oct. 03 00.26.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 741
Physics news on Phys.org
You might review how to calculate a moment about an arbitrary axis:

http://classes.uleth.ca/200803/engg2000a/Fri%20Oct%203.pdf

Your unit vector is wrong. The CD line is in the XZ plane, so its unit vector cannot have a component in the Y direction (j).

As for the position vector, recall that it is a vector form any point on the axis to any point on the line of force.

Thank you SteamKing and voko.
I did not realize that the position vector could be any two points, as long as they are along the line of force and the CD line. Also, thank you for pointing out my error with the unit vector, I switched the y and z values since i am use to a different orientation of the z axis.

What i ended up getting was:
u= <0.164, 0, 0.986>
r= <1.5, -3, -1>
F <0, 800, 0>

M = u*(r×F)
M = 0.164(800)-0(0)+0.986(1200)
M = 1314.4 lb-ft

I think that is correct, but do let me know if you see a mistake.
And, thank you both again.

I would recommend approaching this problem using the right-hand rule for moments. First, we need to determine the perpendicular distance from the line through points C and D to the line of action of the 800 lb force. This distance can be found by drawing a line from the point of intersection of the two lines to the line of action of the force.

Next, we can use the right-hand rule to determine the direction of the moment. Place your right hand on the line through points C and D with your fingers pointing in the direction of the perpendicular distance we just found. Then, curl your fingers towards the direction of the force vector. Your thumb will point in the direction of the moment vector.

Finally, we can calculate the magnitude of the moment using the equation you mentioned: Moment = (position vector) x (force vector). The position vector will be the vector from the point of intersection of the two lines to the point where the force vector intersects the line through points C and D. This can be found by subtracting the coordinates of these two points.

Overall, it is important to approach statics problems systematically and to use the appropriate equations and methods to find the solution. It may also be helpful to draw a free body diagram to visualize the forces and their directions. Keep practicing and don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck.

1. What is statics?

Statics is a branch of physics that deals with the analysis of forces acting on objects that are at rest or in a state of constant motion.

2. What is the moment (torque) about a straight line?

The moment, or torque, about a straight line is the measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object about a specific axis or point. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the pivot point.

3. How do you find the moment about a straight line?

To find the moment about a straight line, you need to first determine the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the point of rotation. Then, multiply this distance by the magnitude of the force to calculate the moment.

4. What is the unit of measurement for moment or torque?

The unit of measurement for moment or torque is Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system or foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the English system.

5. How is the direction of the moment determined?

The direction of the moment is determined by the right-hand rule, which states that if you curl your fingers in the direction of the force, your thumb will point in the direction of the moment.