1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To study physics after B.Sc in electrical engineering

1. Jan 22, 2012 #1
    i am studying electrical engineering and doing my undergraduate thesis on solar cell device physics.......and looking forward to research on organic solar cell. For my graduate study, i am planning to study in the physics department of cambridge university (in cavendish laboratory) if i get the opportunity.

but, am i allowed for graduate study in cambridge (department of physics) after completing my B.Sc in electrical engineering?

and, what is the possibility of getting fund?.......i have two international conference papers on solar cell........will it be helpful for funding?

studying physics in other universities will also be o k for me.

please help me...........i need some suggestions.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2012 #2
    Why the Cavendish in particular? Why a physics department in particular? I think you're probably better off looking for funded MSc and PhD opportunities in solar cell physics *anywhere*. Heck with that your spec. you might end up in a biology department! I know someone who did an agriculture BSc and ended up doing a PhD in a physics department - it was an experimental post where field work was taken literally! (Firing x rays through crops to see how they grow...)

Don't focus on the name of the lab - it really doesn't matter at all - apart to snobs. And you don't want to be a snob do you?

Looking at: www.jobs.ac.uk, and searching for solar, I see a typical opportunity in a Chemistry department... "suitable for students with a good background in physical/theoretical chemistry, condensed matter physics or material science."

4. Jan 22, 2012 #3
    You should also consider looking into other parts of Europe, like France or Germany, who are also strong in the sciences (in general) and whose tuition fees are a fraction of what you'd pay in England (~1000 euros, compared to something like 15000 pounds, usually more! ). Germany has many MSc degrees taught completely in English.

You should also consider that funding for postgraduate degrees in England is quite rare and with the high tuition fees, it's a long shot. If it's what you want, by all means, go for it. While you're at it, see if your country has scholarships for studying abroad or if you're eligible for scholarships from UK universities. Balliol College, Oxford, for instance, has a scholarship that is specifically for Mauritian graduates! In fact, I think it was mal4mac who pointed that out!

5. Jan 23, 2012 #4
    Belgium is also a good choice if you want to study abroad. I was looking at an Engineering program there (I think it was Nuclear Eng.) and it was all taught in English. It was at ULB (the French acronym for the University) located in Brussels....I can't remember what the acronym is in Dutch. But the whole thing was also taught in English (being the capital of the EU, the vast majority of people there speak English). I lived there for about 6 months. It's a cool city; there's never a shortage of things to do, that's for sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook