To study physics after B.Sc in electrical engineering

In summary, the speaker is studying electrical engineering and working on a thesis about solar cell device physics. They are interested in researching organic solar cells and plan to study in the physics department at Cambridge University for their graduate degree. They are wondering if they are allowed to study in the physics department with an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering and if there is a possibility of getting funding. They are open to studying physics in other universities and are seeking suggestions for funded MSc and PhD opportunities in solar cell physics. The speaker is also considering other options in Europe, such as France or Germany, where tuition fees are lower and there may be more scholarship opportunities.
themadmind
i am studying electrical engineering and doing my undergraduate thesis on solar cell device physics...and looking forward to research on organic solar cell. For my graduate study, i am planning to study in the physics department of cambridge university (in cavendish laboratory) if i get the opportunity.

but, am i allowed for graduate study in cambridge (department of physics) after completing my B.Sc in electrical engineering?

and, what is the possibility of getting fund?...i have two international conference papers on solar cell...will it be helpful for funding?

studying physics in other universities will also be o k for me.

please help me...i need some suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why the Cavendish in particular? Why a physics department in particular? I think you're probably better off looking for funded MSc and PhD opportunities in solar cell physics *anywhere*. Heck with that your spec. you might end up in a biology department! I know someone who did an agriculture BSc and ended up doing a PhD in a physics department - it was an experimental post where field work was taken literally! (Firing x rays through crops to see how they grow...)

Don't focus on the name of the lab - it really doesn't matter at all - apart to snobs. And you don't want to be a snob do you?

Looking at: www.jobs.ac.uk, and searching for solar, I see a typical opportunity in a Chemistry department... "suitable for students with a good background in physical/theoretical chemistry, condensed matter physics or material science."

You should also consider looking into other parts of Europe, like France or Germany, who are also strong in the sciences (in general) and whose tuition fees are a fraction of what you'd pay in England (~1000 euros, compared to something like 15000 pounds, usually more! ). Germany has many MSc degrees taught completely in English.

You should also consider that funding for postgraduate degrees in England is quite rare and with the high tuition fees, it's a long shot. If it's what you want, by all means, go for it. While you're at it, see if your country has scholarships for studying abroad or if you're eligible for scholarships from UK universities. Balliol College, Oxford, for instance, has a scholarship that is specifically for Mauritian graduates! In fact, I think it was mal4mac who pointed that out!

Belgium is also a good choice if you want to study abroad. I was looking at an Engineering program there (I think it was Nuclear Eng.) and it was all taught in English. It was at ULB (the French acronym for the University) located in Brussels...I can't remember what the acronym is in Dutch. But the whole thing was also taught in English (being the capital of the EU, the vast majority of people there speak English). I lived there for about 6 months. It's a cool city; there's never a shortage of things to do, that's for sure.

I understand your interest in studying physics after completing your B.Sc in electrical engineering. It is definitely possible to pursue graduate studies in physics at Cambridge University's Cavendish Laboratory after completing your undergraduate degree in electrical engineering. The admissions process will consider your academic background, research experience, and potential for success in the program, so it is important to highlight your interest and experience in solar cell device physics and organic solar cells in your application. Your international conference papers on solar cells can also be helpful in demonstrating your research potential and could potentially aid in securing funding for your graduate studies.

However, it is also worth exploring other universities for your graduate studies in physics. There are many excellent programs worldwide that offer a strong focus on solar cell research and may also have funding opportunities available. It is important to carefully research and consider all of your options to find the best fit for your academic and research interests.

Additionally, I would recommend reaching out to current graduate students or professors in the physics department at Cambridge or other universities to gather more information and advice on the application process and potential funding opportunities. They can provide valuable insight and guidance based on their own experiences.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider your options and make an informed decision about your graduate studies in physics. With your strong background in electrical engineering and research experience in solar cells, I am confident that you will be successful in pursuing your academic and research goals in this field. Good luck!

1. How can a B.Sc in electrical engineering prepare me for studying physics?

A B.Sc in electrical engineering provides a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving skills, and critical thinking - all of which are essential for studying physics. Additionally, the principles and concepts learned in electrical engineering, such as circuits, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics, are closely related to those in physics, making the transition between the two fields smoother.

2. Do I need to have a background in physics to study it after B.Sc in electrical engineering?

While having a background in physics can be helpful, it is not a requirement for studying physics after a B.Sc in electrical engineering. Many universities offer bridge courses or foundational classes to help students without a physics background catch up and succeed in their studies.

3. What are the career opportunities for someone with a B.Sc in electrical engineering studying physics?

Combining a B.Sc in electrical engineering with a background in physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities. Some potential fields include research and development in industries such as aerospace, energy, and telecommunications, as well as teaching, consulting, and government work.

4. How long does it take to complete a degree in physics after a B.Sc in electrical engineering?

The length of time it takes to complete a degree in physics after a B.Sc in electrical engineering can vary depending on the individual's academic background and the specific program they choose. On average, it can take an additional 2-4 years to earn a bachelor's degree in physics.

5. Are there any specific skills or courses I should focus on during my B.Sc in electrical engineering to prepare for studying physics?

Some important skills to focus on during a B.Sc in electrical engineering that can also be beneficial for studying physics include mathematics, programming, and laboratory experience. Additionally, courses in electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and other physics-related topics can also be helpful in building a strong foundation for future studies in physics.