To the converted atheists: What do you miss from believing ?

• Thread starter end3r7
  • Start date
In summary, when I became an atheist, I stopped relying on the comfort of religion to help me make sense of the world. I miss the hope that an afterlife will forgive people for their sins, but I'm happier knowing that people can make choices to improve the world even if they don't have a religion.
Moonbear's going to have a conniption when she gets back.:uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
B. Elliott said:
Moonbear's going to have a conniption when she gets back.:uhh:

Perhaps Moonbear is god, and is stuck in some ailing man's body under anesthesia.

Just a snippet I posted at my other forum, before she gets back.
I pray god isn't a dandelion:

Dandelion God; "OmCheeto. Thou art cursed amongst men. You have murdered my unborn children."
Om; "But they breed like humans!"

I run a dandelion abortion clinic daily in my yard during the summer.

Taking ones religion too seriously will in the least result in an argument, and at the most, genocide.

Ok. I just made that one up.

Daniel Y. said:
I'm not sure what you mean. The "goal is god"? Can you elucidate this statement a little please? Do you mean the goal is to worship god, or to be his amigo? Or bask in his greatness?

What I mean when I say this is that the end goal of human existence is to glorify God by enjoying him. Enjoyment of God comes primarily through worship. And, as Biblical teaching would suggest, God is more glorified when his people enjoy him (i.e. worship under compulsion is worthless to him). I notice that people often think of heaven as a place where one may enjoy the company of family and various earthly delights. If by "heaven" we're referring to the afterlife as portrayed Biblically, then it's important to note that this is not the primary function of heaven.

OmCheeto said:
I am definitely switching ranks then to atheism. It has always been, and always will be, about me.

hmmmm... Are the Hindu gods like that? Maybe I'll just switch affiliations. I've always wanted to see through the eye's of a grasshopper.

:zzz:

Not sure why you think I would know. But to my knowledge, Christianity is the only religion which teaches the doctrine I've described for the past couple posts. I could perhaps be wrong.

arunma said:
What I mean when I say this is that the end goal of human existence is to glorify God by enjoying him. Enjoyment of God comes primarily through worship. And, as Biblical teaching would suggest, God is more glorified when his people enjoy him (i.e. worship under compulsion is worthless to him). I notice that people often think of heaven as a place where one may enjoy the company of family and various earthly delights. If by "heaven" we're referring to the afterlife as portrayed Biblically, then it's important to note that this is not the primary function of heaven.

Dont you find it disturbing that God, being the all powerful creator of the universe, made everything for you so you can 'worship' and 'glorify' him.

Cyrus said:
Dont you find it disturbing that God, being the all powerful creator of the universe, made everything for you so you can 'worship' and 'glorify' him.
1, Religous people believe that god made man in his/her image
2, People are arrogant self-centred selfish b********
3, The more powerful the person the more of the above they are
4, God is ultimately powerful, therefore is the ultimate b********
QED

mgb_phys said:
1, Religous people believe that god made man in his/her image
2, People are arrogant self-centred selfish b********
3, The more powerful the person the more of the above they are
4, God is ultimately powerful, therefore is the ultimate b********
QED

Mmmmmmmm...okay?

Yeah, really?

I'd rather reign in hell than serve in heaven.

Ok, do you think we battered this one to death yet? BTW, this seemed much less bloody than previous threads, or is that because my meds have kicked in?

Cyrus said:

No, I don't. God is sovereign and can demand whatever He wants.

You make it sound like worship is an onerous task. But you don't get to heaven by hating God. If you love God, you want to glorify Him.

It may seem strange to you for me to write about loving God, but love is what Christianity is all about.

"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?"

And He {Jesus} said to him, "'You shall love the Lord you God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Matthew 22:36-40

Ok, I guess that answers my question.

Say goodbye thread!