To the converted atheists: What do you miss from believing ?

• Thread starter end3r7
  • Start date
I live at Texas and I go to Texas A&M (the most conservative public school here, I'd contend).
Needless to say that unless someone asks me specifically, they won't know my (lack of) beliefs.

Tigers are solitary...

I live at Texas and I go to Texas A&M (the most conservative public school here, I'd contend).
Needless to say that unless someone asks me specifically, they won't know my (lack of) beliefs.
I'm interested in knowing how your physics friends feel about that. Are there plenty of religious physics majors?

Ha, you know nothing of Mormons Daniel, I live in New Mexico (Four Corners Area) damn near 70% of people are Mormons, I swear.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What I don't like about atheism is knowing that when a person dear to me dies, I will never, ever see them again.
You mean that you don't like having faith that you will never see them again. :wink:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Atheism is a leap of faith in the that it denies claims of direct experience.

I'm interested in knowing how your physics friends feel about that. Are there plenty of religious physics majors?
I'm a math major, so I only know literally a handful of physics undergrads. All of them are Christian.

Although I contend that Biology is the field of science with most believers. I actually know some that don't believe in evolution (but these are getting a bio degree exclusively for med school).

What always annoyed me were the people who do pre-med and smoke, and the pre-vets who hunt as a sport, hehe

Atheism is a leap of faith in the that it denies claims of direct experience.
huh? Come on, people also claim to be probed in the butt by aliens.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You mean that you don't like having faith that you will never see them again. :wink:
It would be so comforting if I could! The thought of leaving my daughter alone in the world is sad beyond belief (no pun intended!). But in my heart of hearts, I just can't make the leap.

I have a wonderful Christian friend who tells me I'll be the nicest person in hell!!

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
huh? Come on, people also claim to be probed in the butt by aliens.
Logic by Cyrus: Since we assume that some claims are false, we can conclude that all claims are false.

People with terrible diseases have been deliberately made to suffer if you are a believer.

May I ask to those who were or are comforted by an eternal after-life concept, why is that so comforting?
OK, I'll take a crack at this.

Many churches teach a watered-down version of Christianity that basically says that God exists to make you happy and improve your life. But this is backwards. If there is a God, then He is not the one who exists to serve. Rather, God created you to serve Him. And the point of religion is not just to find comfort, but to understand God and do what He wants. And if you disobey God, He has the power and authority to inflict any suffering He wants on you.

This is why the Bible says, "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." (Proverbs 9:10)

So what about comfort? Comfort comes from forgiveness and the promise of eternal life. Some commenters have argued that eternal life would be boring, but they are limiting heaven to what they can imagine. An omnipotent God can create an infinite number of worlds to explore. I'm looking forward to it. :)

It would be so comforting if I could! The thought of leaving my daughter alone in the world is sad beyond belief (no pun intended!). But in my heart of hearts, I just can't make the leap.

I have a wonderful Christian friend who tells me I'll be the nicest person in hell!!
Funny you should say that. There was some Korean guy from a ministry (I guess) bothering people on campus. He came to me and asked me my name and I told him. He then happily showed me where my name was in the bible and told me about how my name is important. He asked me if Im christian and I told him.............nooo? He said, "Well, I'm sorry to tell you this, but you will go to hell. You dont want to go to hell do you?" He then said we should get together and talk about JEEBUS and friends. I told him SURE! We set up a date and he really couldnt stress enough how he had to drive all the way to campus so to be sure I'd be there when he arrived. I even gave him my phone number. When that day finally showed up he called me on my phone and asked where I was. I told him I was busy and hung up on the bastard.

Gimme a break, Im studying for my classes and hes going to come up to me and preach how im going to hell.....talk about digusting.

Last edited:
Logic by Cyrus: Since we assume that some claims are false, we can conclude that all claims are false.
Talk to any aliens lately? Just because a bunch of people say something doesnt make it so.

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So you not only admit to the fallacy, but you are too small-minded to respond directly?

OmCheeto

Gold Member

My brother has always said that he's volunteering to go to hell, to comfort the suffering. I think that's so nice of him. Even though he's a demon, god denying gay, and is going to hell whether he volunteers or not!

But then again, so am I....

We'll have tea and crumpets ready for you all. Sunscreen and lip-balm for the fair skinned ones. And don't forget to bring lots of water.

So you not only admit to the fallacy, but you are too small-minded to respond directly?
The answer to that question is that the brain has many, many mechanisms to cope with stress. I.e. seeing a 'light at the end of the tunnel', etc.

That, in no way, proves the existance of the divine, nor does it mean it holds weight.

LOTS of people claim to have seen UFOs. That does not mean there are UFOs. Nor does that validify it.

Lots of people also swear by homeopathics - so what.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There are UFOs. Sometimes they get identified.

You are still using the logic that since some claims are false, all claims are false. And history is full of reports of direct encouters with God, or Angels, or whatever, so it is not a matter that can be discarded by logic or by rationalizing select experiences. You make a choice to believe a claim or not, but it is a choice, and unless you can prove otherwise, a leap of faith.

By your logic, I can point to UFO claims that were true as evidence for God.

Last edited:

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My brother has always said that he's volunteering to go to hell, to comfort the suffering. I think that's so nice of him. Even though he's a demon, god denying gay, and is going to hell whether he volunteers or not!

But then again, so am I....

We'll have tea and crumpets ready for you all. Sunscreen and lip-balm for the fair skinned ones. And don't forget to bring lots of water.
Thanks, OmCheeto! See you and your brother there...I need to find some sunscreen that's SPF 2,279...and maybe a welder's shield...

There are UFOs. Sometimes they get identified.

You are still using the logic that since some claims are false, all claims are false. And history is full of reports of direct encouters with God, or Angels, or whatever, so it is not a matter that can be discarded by logic or by rationalizing select experiences. You make a choice to believe a claim or not, but it is a choice, and unless you can prove otherwise, a leap of faith.

By your logic, I can point to UFO claims that were true as evidence for God.
No, its more than that. These claims are never reproducible, and the criterion by which these claims follow are so wishy washy they are basically useless.

Again these are claims - so what?

History is also full of crackpots and their claims on free energy devices. Does that make those real too?

WTF is going on here? Biting...Nibbling, wtf guys?

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
WTF is going on here? Biting...Nibbling, wtf guys?
Well....me, OmCheeto, and OmCheeto's brother are going to hell together. No biting!

I'm there! Tea and crumpets by the river Styx sounds breathtaking.:biggrin:

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member