Toboggan down hill, FIND ANGLE?

  • Thread starter Thread starter j_suder2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angle Hill
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 4K views
j_suder2
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A girl starting from rest, toboggans down a hill of height 15m. The mass of the girl and toboggan is 42kg. The speed of the girl and toboggan at bottom of hill is 2.9m/s. If force of friction is 112 N, what is the slope of the hill? Ignore air resistance.

Homework Equations



KE=PE, 15sin(theta), F=mg

The Attempt at a Solution



I started by equating initial and final energies by saying KE final is equal to PE initial plus the force of friction. (.5mv)squared = mgh - (mu)Fn
I ended up with 0.1429=sin(theta) which equals 8.2 degrees. The answer was 16 degrees, where did I go wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is 15sin([tex]\vartheta[/tex]) meant to be?
 
I am trying to figure out the distance down the slope that she travels so I can use that along with the height (15m) to find the angle.
 
15sin(theta) will not give you the distance traveled down the slope.
 
You know what to do, you just have your trig relations mixed up a bit. If sintheta = height/hypotenuse, then 15sintheta = height x height/hypotenuse...
 
I should know this, but that still leaves me with unknowns for theta and hypotenuse.
I am drawing a blank on how to find the hypotenuse with what is given.
Thanks for the replies by the way.
 
Sintheta = height/hypotenuse where hypotenuse = the distance traveled down the slope. Since we know the height, we can state the hypotenuse in terms of the height and theta, that is hypotenuse = height/sintheta. This way you can use 15m/sintheta in the expression for the work done by friction, and then solve for theta, which was your idea to begin with. You just misused the sin ratio!
 
I have to disagree with Squeezebox, the work done is not as quoted. To calculate the work done, you can apply conservation of energy.