Tolman's Principles of Statistical Mechanics

In summary, Tolman's book on statistical mechanics is still a popular choice among readers. However, some of the terminology and notation used may be outdated and may not align with current courses on the subject. The book offers clear explanations and is great for self-study, but its length and slow pace may not be suitable for a supplemental text in a more fast-paced course. Other recommended books on the topic include Chandler's, Reif's, Pathria's, and Landau and Lifgarbagez's texts.
A_B
Hi,

I'm looking for a good book on statistical mechanics (to go with a course) and I've been considereing Tolman's book
http://books.google.be/books?id=4TqQZo962s0C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
Is this book still up to date with the quantum mechanics? (I've read that the notation is outdated, how much of a problem would that be?)
Would you recommend a better book or is Tolman the way to go?

The reason I'm leaning towards this book is that it has a large section on classical statistical mechanics while other books usually jump straight to the quantum mechanics.Thanks
A_B

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Many people like Tolman's book. I read most of it and here are my thoughts.
1) The physics hasn't changed, although it has certainly moved on beyond what's in Tolman's book. That's ok for an "intro" book, of course, but you can't read this book and think you know all of Stat Mech.
2) Some of the terms and notation are old-fashioned. The partition function is called "the sum over states," for instance, and it isn't introduced until p. 522. Only you can tell if using a book whose notation differs from your course is an issue for you.
3) The real strength of Tolman is the lengthy text and clear explanations, making it great for self-study. It occurred to me at some point that I felt like I was sitting in a lecture. It's as though Tolman transcribed his course lectures--his voice, style, clear way of explaining, come through loud and clear and at great length.
4) If you are supplementing a course, that same length and slow pace can be a disadvantage. The sheer number of pages devoted to each topic may not work well if you have to also read your primary course book (and do problem sets) according to an aggressive schedule.

Other suggestions? Chandler wrote an intro text that is excellent. Reif's Statistical and Thermal Physics is still the most widely used classic text, for advanced undergrad and grad classes. I like it, but be aware that some people find it wordy. (It's not nearly so wordy as Tolman, however.) Pathria is widely used as well, though I find it a little harder to follow. The one by Landau and Lifgarbagez is characteristic of all their books--beautiful, insightful and advanced.

Last edited:

1. What are Tolman's Principles of Statistical Mechanics?

Tolman's Principles of Statistical Mechanics are a set of fundamental principles that describe the behavior of a large number of particles in a system. These principles were developed by American physicist Richard Tolman in the early 20th century.

2. What is the significance of Tolman's Principles of Statistical Mechanics?

Tolman's Principles of Statistical Mechanics are significant because they provide a theoretical framework for understanding the behavior of macroscopic systems based on the behavior of individual particles. They have been applied to various fields such as thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and condensed matter physics.

3. What are the key assumptions of Tolman's Principles of Statistical Mechanics?

The key assumptions of Tolman's Principles of Statistical Mechanics include the ergodic hypothesis, which states that a system will explore all possible microstates over a long enough period of time, and the equal a priori probability assumption, which states that all microstates are equally likely to occur.

4. How does Tolman's Principles of Statistical Mechanics relate to thermodynamics?

Tolman's Principles of Statistical Mechanics provide a microscopic explanation for the macroscopic behavior described by thermodynamics. They allow us to derive thermodynamic quantities, such as entropy and temperature, from the statistical behavior of individual particles in a system.

5. Can Tolman's Principles of Statistical Mechanics be applied to all systems?

While Tolman's Principles of Statistical Mechanics are applicable to a wide range of systems, they are most accurate for systems that are large and well-mixed, with particles that interact weakly. In some cases, more specialized statistical mechanics methods may be needed to accurately describe the behavior of a specific system.