Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Top Server Brands on the Market

1. Sep 15, 2009 #1
    Hello there :smile:

I am doing a little research to try and find out what the most popular Brand/Models of servers are.

I tried searching things like "Top Ten Server Brands" and "Top Server Brands" but the results are coming back a little vague and I don't know much about the sources.

Does anyone know of any reliable sources where I might have better luck with this kind of search?

I will keep Googling, but if anyone has any ideas, please chime in.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2
    I'm not sure that there is that many server brands. The most popular brands are HP, IBM, Dell, Sun, and Apple. The rest is custom made.

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3
    Interesting. Though there aren't that many brands, I believe there are many models.

I will be needing to lookup certain specifications of the 'best-selling' models.

5. Sep 15, 2009 #4
    The specifications of the server depends on the application it is used for such web server, storage, high availability, or a compute cluster. But for simple applications any general purpose server will do.

6. Sep 15, 2009 #5
    What are you going to be using the server for?

7. Sep 15, 2009 #6
    I am not :smile: I am interested in making a generalization about the relationship between the power of a server and its airflow.

But for the generalization to be meaningful and useful, it should be about servers that are used widely.

Thanks,
    Casey

8. Sep 15, 2009 #7
    In general, more heat is dissipated with more CPU power, and competitive brands use same processors, and most 1U chassis have vents in front and back.

9. Sep 15, 2009 #8
    You might also want to compare rack vs blade servers.

10. Sep 16, 2009 #9
    Yes. It is going to be for Rack Servers only. The company I work for makes cooling solutions for Data Centers.

In our current mathematical mode we assume a conservative airflow X[cfm] per KW.

I beleive that by changing 'X' to something closer to what is actually being used, our model will see drastic improvements.

But, before I going changing 'X' to 'X_new' I need to know what's out there so that it is a reasonable change.

Ya' dig? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook