Top Server Brands on the Market

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Server
In summary, the most popular brands of servers are HP, IBM, Dell, Sun, and Apple. The specifications of the server depends on the application it is used for such web server, storage, high availability, or a compute cluster. But for simple applications any general purpose server will do.
Saladsamurai
Hello there :smile:

I am doing a little research to try and find out what the most popular Brand/Models of servers are.

I tried searching things like "Top Ten Server Brands" and "Top Server Brands" but the results are coming back a little vague and I don't know much about the sources.

Does anyone know of any reliable sources where I might have better luck with this kind of search?

I will keep Googling, but if anyone has any ideas, please chime in.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm not sure that there is that many server brands. The most popular brands are HP, IBM, Dell, Sun, and Apple. The rest is custom made.

Interesting. Though there aren't that many brands, I believe there are many models.

I will be needing to lookup certain specifications of the 'best-selling' models.

Saladsamurai said:
I will be needing to lookup certain specifications of the 'best-selling' models.

The specifications of the server depends on the application it is used for such web server, storage, high availability, or a compute cluster. But for simple applications any general purpose server will do.

Greg Bernhardt said:
What are you going to be using the server for?

I am not :smile: I am interested in making a generalization about the relationship between the power of a server and its airflow.

But for the generalization to be meaningful and useful, it should be about servers that are used widely.

Thanks,
Casey

In general, more heat is dissipated with more CPU power, and competitive brands use same processors, and most 1U chassis have vents in front and back.

Saladsamurai said:
I am not :smile: I am interested in making a generalization about the relationship between the power of a server and its airflow.

You might also want to compare rack vs blade servers.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You might also want to compare rack vs blade servers.

Yes. It is going to be for Rack Servers only. The company I work for makes cooling solutions for Data Centers.

In our current mathematical mode we assume a conservative airflow X[cfm] per KW.

I believe that by changing 'X' to something closer to what is actually being used, our model will see drastic improvements.

But, before I going changing 'X' to 'X_new' I need to know what's out there so that it is a reasonable change.

Ya' dig? :smile:

1. What are the top server brands on the market?

The top server brands on the market vary depending on the specific needs and preferences of an organization. However, some of the most popular and highly rated brands include Dell, HP, IBM, Cisco, and Lenovo.

2. What factors should be considered when choosing a server brand?

When choosing a server brand, it is important to consider factors such as reliability, performance, scalability, support, and cost. It is also important to assess the specific needs and requirements of your organization to determine which brand will best meet those needs.

3. How do these top server brands compare in terms of price?

The prices of these top server brands can vary greatly depending on the specific model and configuration. Generally, Dell and HP tend to have more budget-friendly options, while IBM and Cisco are known for their high-end, enterprise-level servers. Lenovo falls somewhere in between, offering a range of options at different price points.

4. Which server brand offers the best customer support?

All of the top server brands on the market have dedicated customer support teams, and it is difficult to say which one offers the best support. However, Dell and HP are known for their strong customer support, with 24/7 availability and comprehensive warranty options.

5. Are there any emerging server brands that are worth considering?

There are constantly new server brands emerging on the market, and it is always worth considering their offerings. Some newer brands that have gained popularity in recent years include Supermicro, Huawei, and Inspur. It is important to thoroughly research and assess these brands before making a decision.