Nice grouping of primes under 105

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple algorithm that generates a grouping of prime numbers under 105. The goal is to find other algorithms that generate larger groupings and describe the nth prime. However, this is a known and unsolved problem in mathematics. The conversation also mentions the possibility of finding a generating function for prime numbers from the proof of the Riemann Hypothesis. The use of patterns and identifying interesting groupings of primes is also mentioned, although it is acknowledged that the arrangement appears random.
nocat2
The simple algorithm shown in the uploaded file generates a nice grouping of primes under 105.

Attachments

• primes.pdf
    36.6 KB · Views: 276
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is there a question there somewhere? I mean, what was your point in making this post?

I thought perhaps it might encourage someone to look for other algorithms that generate larger groupings. The algorithms could be described mathematically. Ultimately, my goal is to describe the nth prime!

nocat2 said:
Ultimately, my goal is to describe the nth prime!
I think that's a lost cause, there is no set of numbers which exclude prime number nth[next].
(Unless you decide to exclude it arbitrarily for such reasons as your computer is incapable of storing it.)

Last edited:
This is a known and unsolved problem in Mathematics today. Perhaps, once the Riemann Hypothesis is proven then out of it's proof will come a generating function for prime numbers. However, while we may fit selected groups of primes into some equation, there is no single equation that generates only prime numbers for any arbitrary size of primes.

Wait, you just arrange the numbers in some "nice" way, but you still have to know the prime numbers to fill that pattern? Where is the point? You are not using any property of prime numbers at all.

One could use any algorithm to arrange natural numbers, and subsequently look for identifiable patterns in resulting groups (or patterns) of primes. I did not claim to find a pattern. I only commented on a interesting group.

What is interesting? I just see a random arrangement.

1. What is a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself. In other words, it has no other factors besides 1 and itself.

2. How do you determine if a number is prime?

To determine if a number is prime, you can check if it is divisible by any number besides 1 and itself. If it is not divisible by any other number, then it is prime.

3. What is the significance of a "nice grouping" of primes?

A "nice grouping" of primes refers to a set of prime numbers that have a specific relationship or pattern, such as being consecutive or having a certain difference between them. These groupings can provide insight into the distribution and behavior of prime numbers.

4. Why is the range limited to under 105 in this context?

The range of "under 105" is likely chosen for convenience and simplicity in showcasing a specific set of prime numbers. Additionally, this range is small enough to easily see patterns and relationships between the primes, but large enough to still be interesting and informative.

5. What can we learn from studying prime numbers?

Studying prime numbers can provide insight into the fundamental properties of numbers and their relationships. It has practical applications in fields such as cryptography and number theory, and can also lead to unexpected discoveries and advancements in mathematics.