How does gas behave/flow in different sized tubing/piping?

• Thread starter Ryder S
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, gas flow through a circular tube or pipe can have various effects such as pressure drops and changes in maximum flow. Turbulence and tubing surface can also impact the flow. When gas flows from a larger diameter tube to a smaller one, the velocity decreases and pressure increases to maintain constant energy. However, wall friction and flow separation can affect this ideal scenario. Understanding the Bernoulli equation can provide further insight into these changes.
Ryder S
I understand that gas flow through a circular tube or pipe will have some understandable effects... for example the pressure drops, and the maximum flow diminishes. I also know that turbulence and the tubing surface has an effect...

Without getting too specific, I just want to understand generally what happens with gas flowing from a larger diameter tube to a lower diameter tube... and not having to factor in turbulence and such... just assuming a smooth flow.

Actually, I'd like to understand flow the other way too... from a small diameter to a larger one. I suppose flow will still go down... but does pressure recover?

What is the numeric relation of things like pressure and flow to changes in diameter?

My intuition suggests that any change to a smaller diameter might be thought of as an orifice of sorts, and that nothing downstream can tell what's happening in the upstream pipe provided that the pressure is the same.

I'd love to see an interactive simulator... it would help me visualize.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What goes in must come out...
If you put 1 kg of air into the pipe every second, then 1 kg of air has to come out of the pipe. This is true at every location in the pipe, so at every location in the pipe 1 kg of air will flow through every second. So if the pipe area gets larger, the velocity drops. This is because air density times pipe area times velocity gives you the mass flow rate: [itex]m=\rho \cdot A\cdot V=\textrm{constant}[/itex]. If the pipe area gets smaller, the velocity increases.

What goes in must come out also holds for energy. The kinetic (motion) energy is [itex]\frac{1}{2}\cdot\rho\cdot V^2[/itex]. The kinetic energy plus the pressure that go into the pipe should also come out of the pipe: [itex]p+\frac{1}{2}\rho V^2=\textrm{constant}[/itex]. This is the Bernoulli equation. It says (together with the conservation of mass equation) that if your pipe area increases, your velocity decreases and that means that your pressure increases to keep the energy constant.
There are two things I will mention that mess this perfect world up. The first is wall friction. Part of the energy is used to overcome the wall friction and the total energy contained in the air decreases.
The second is that if your pipe area increases too fast, the flow cannot keep up with the pipe walls anymore and you will get flow separation and recirculation zones. This will also use energy.

I hope this helps. Read a bit about the Bernoulli equation to understand its range of applicability.

1. How does the diameter of tubing affect gas flow?

The diameter of tubing has a significant impact on gas flow. As the diameter increases, the cross-sectional area also increases, allowing for a greater volume of gas to flow through. This results in a lower velocity of gas flow. On the other hand, a smaller diameter creates a higher velocity of gas flow due to the restricted cross-sectional area.

2. What is the role of pressure in gas flow through tubing?

Pressure is one of the key factors in determining the rate of gas flow through tubing. According to the Bernoulli's principle, as the pressure of a gas decreases, its velocity increases. Therefore, in a system with varying pressure, the gas will flow from high pressure to low pressure, resulting in a continuous flow.

3. How does the length of tubing impact gas flow?

The length of tubing also plays a role in gas flow. In longer tubing, the gas has to travel a greater distance, resulting in increased friction and resistance. This leads to a decrease in gas flow. On the other hand, shorter tubing will have less friction and resistance, resulting in a higher gas flow rate.

4. What is the effect of temperature on gas flow through tubing?

Temperature has a direct impact on the behavior of gas. As the temperature increases, the molecules of gas gain more energy and move faster, resulting in a higher velocity of gas flow. On the other hand, at lower temperatures, gas molecules move slower, resulting in a decrease in gas flow rate.

5. How does the type of gas affect its flow through tubing?

The type of gas being used also affects its flow through tubing. Different gases have different molecular sizes and weights, which can impact their flow rate. For example, lighter gases such as hydrogen will flow faster than heavier gases like carbon dioxide, due to differences in their molecular mass and velocity.