Energy lost due to bushing friction

In summary, the system will detect when the force is not there, and will move up according to the potential energy change. The pins rotate in the bushings, and the force is carried by the bushings. The coefficient of friction is 0.19, and the energy loss per cycle is (5.2mm)*(1000N)(0.19)=1045 Nmm=1.05 Joule. Assuming each bushing cause the same loss (top ones are much lower)= 8.4 Joules.
George Zucas
EDIT: I accidentally put this thread into Engineering instead of Mechanical Engineering section, please move!

Hello all,

I am designing a system which will basically just stand in two different positions all the time by a compressed spring. The spring is pushing the system while the forces on the other side keep the system in place. There will be a sensor which will detect the time when the force is not there. This will work since when the force is not there, the spring will push the system up and the sensor will be triggered. Now I need to select a suitable spring.

I've approached the problem by calculating the potential energy change between the normal position and the position in which the sensor will be triggered ( IF there are any alternatives I'd be glad to learn it). It is about 10000 J (it is a small system). Now I need to find the energy lost to the bushings in the system (there are 8 bushings). The coefficient of friction is 0.19 and it is a H7-h9 fitting.

I am kinda at a loss to how to determine this. I don't know how the fitting comes into play for example or the roundness of the contact. What I would do is to take frictional force as F=mu*mg=0.19*0.25*9.81=0.47 N (0.25 is the shaft weight, 10 mm is radius) and therefore the frictional moment is 0.47*10=4.75Nmm. Though I don't where to go after that or how wrong it is up to this point.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Do the shafts slide or rotate in the bushings ?
Is the spring force carried by the bushings ?

I think we need a diagram or a picture that shows the arrangement of components.

I'd gladly post the picture of the entire system if it wasn't for the fact that I can't delete it later. I am cautious in case any problem occurs at workplace due to that. Though I can provide a hand-drawn picture. In the picture the ones marked with B shows bushings. It is a simple but close representation of the system.

The shafts rotate in the bushings.

And thanks for the reply.

Attachments

• bush.jpg
    bush.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 588
The surface finish detail and area of contact should not be needed if the coefficient of friction is specified.
Note that depending on the lever lengths, the force on the lower pin and bush will be twice the applied force.

Energy lost to bushes per cycle will depend on the pin diameter and the angle of rotation.
That is the total linear distance moved by the pin–bush contact multiplied by the force and by the coefficient of friction.

Likes George Zucas
Thanks for the answer. I made some silly errors, even typing out the problem makes one understand the problem better.

The pins have a diameter of 20 mm and the angle of rotation is about 30 degrees. So (2*pi*(20/2))*(30/360)=5.24 mm (but this is not linear distance, do you mean the direct distance between the first and the second position of a point which is 5.18 mm? Not that there is much of a difference but for the sake of understanding the concept).

The force on the lower bushing will include the weights and double the force as you said , considering your note and the weights, the force is approximately 1000 N on the bushings.

So, from what I understand:

The movement distance of the contact is 5.2 mm,
The force is approximately 1000 N,
Coefficient of friction is 0.19,
Energy loss is then (5.2mm)*(1000N)(0.19)=1045 Nmm=1.05 Joule
Assuming each bushing cause the same loss (top ones are much lower)= 8.4 Joules

Last edited:
It seems reasonable to me. Build a prototype and measure the temperature rise while in operation.
To lower the energy loss further, lubricate the bush, lengthen the rocker arm or reduce the pin diameter.
Don't forget it will rock back again, that doubles the distance per full cycle.

Likes George Zucas
Thanks a lot. A rough estimation is what I needed since I have to add a huge safety factor to ensure that the system is working even 10 years from now anyway (it'll stay in the same position for decades, waiting in case that force no longer exists :) ). Though it seems finding a spring strong enough to push the system while having a small size is quite a challenge.

1. What is bushing friction?

Bushing friction is the resistance or force that is generated between two surfaces in contact when one surface moves against the other. In the context of energy, it refers to the loss of energy due to the friction between the bushing and the moving part.

2. How does bushing friction cause energy loss?

When a bushing experiences friction, the energy that was initially used to move the object is converted into heat energy, which is dissipated into the surrounding environment. This results in a decrease in the overall energy of the system.

3. What factors affect energy loss due to bushing friction?

The amount of energy lost due to bushing friction depends on several factors such as the material and surface roughness of the bushing and the moving part, the speed and force of the movement, and the lubrication of the surfaces.

4. How can energy loss due to bushing friction be reduced?

To reduce energy loss due to bushing friction, it is important to choose the right materials for the bushing and the moving part, as well as using appropriate lubrication. Additionally, reducing the speed and force of the movement can also help in reducing energy loss.

5. What are the implications of energy loss due to bushing friction?

Energy loss due to bushing friction can have various implications, such as decreased efficiency and increased wear and tear of the components. It can also lead to increased energy consumption and environmental impact in certain applications.