1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[topology] The metric topology is the coarsest that makes the metric continuous

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1
    [topology] "The metric topology is the coarsest that makes the metric continuous"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let (X,d) be a metric space. Show that the topology on X induced by the metric d is the coarsest topology on X such that [itex]d: X \times X \to \mathbb R[/itex] is continuous (for the product topology on [itex]X \times X[/itex]).

2. Relevant equations
    N.A.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can prove that d is continuous, but I'm having trouble proving that the topology is the coarsest. Let V be a subset of R, then denote [itex]U := d^{-1}(V)[/itex] and suppose U is open. I want to prove that V is open, but I'm not sure how.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: [topology] "The metric topology is the coarsest that makes the metric continuous"

Try to prove that if d is continuous, then the open balls are open sets in that topology.

4. Feb 2, 2012 #3
    Re: [topology] "The metric topology is the coarsest that makes the metric continuous"

Thanks.

Hm, I seem to be confused.

The best thing I can do, is to say: take an open ball [itex]B(x, \varepsilon)[/itex], then we know that [itex]d^{-1}(]-\epsilon,\epsilon[)[/itex] is open, and hence [itex]d^{-1}(]-\epsilon,\epsilon[) \cap \left( \{x\} \times X \right)[/itex] is open in [itex]\{x\} \times X[/itex], which proves your statement if we identify
    [itex]B(x, \varepsilon) \leftrightarrow d^{-1}(]-\epsilon,\epsilon[) \cap \left( \{x\} \times X \right)[/itex]
    [itex]X \leftrightarrow \{x\} \times X [/itex]
    but I would doubt this round-about method is necessary...

Part of my confusion seems to be about the following: I think I'm wrong about my initial assumption that the statement is equivalent to saying it's (also) the coarsest on [itex]X \times X[/itex] such that d is continuous? Because I'm confused by the fact that (take [itex]X = \mathbb R[/itex] for the moment) [itex]d^{-1}(]a,b[)[/itex] is always an unbounded region, consequently the initial topology on [itex]\mathbb R \times \mathbb R[/itex] induced by d cannot coincide with the product topology on [itex]X \times X[/itex] inherited from the metric topology on X (which would have to be the case if the above statement were true).

I hope my confusion makes sense...

5. Feb 2, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That is correct.

Yes, I indeed do not think that is true. Note that the actual initial topology of d (on the set XxX) is not even Hausdorff. Indeed, the point (x,x) and (y,y) can never be separated by open sets. If (x,x) is in [itex]d^{-1}(]a,b[)[/itex] then [itex]0\in ]a,b[[/itex]. But then we also have [itex](y,y)\in ]a,b[[/itex].

Some extra information:
    As you can see, the set [itex]\{d^{-1}(]a,b[~\vert~a,b\in \mathbb{R}\}[/itex] does not induce a nice topological space. But it does introduce a nice structure called a uniformity. Uniform spaces (spaces equipped with a uniformity) are a generalization of metric spaces which can be used to define notions such as uniform continuity, uniform convergence, totally boundedness and Cauchy sequences. Every uniform space induces a topological space. So we actually have "metric space --> uniform space --> topological space".

6. Feb 2, 2012 #5

Ah, thank you :)

And is the way I proved it the most efficient way/the way you had in mind? With the identifications? Or is it a round-about way for something shorter that I'm overlooking?

7. Feb 2, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It was the way I had in mind. Perhaps there is a shorter way, but I doubt it.

8. Feb 2, 2012 #7

Ah perfect :) You have settled my qualms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook