Torque and angular accelerationfinding coeff. of friction

In summary, the problem involves a rotating grindstone with a diameter of 0.52m and a mass of 52kg. A normal force of 160N is applied to the rim and the grindstone comes to rest in 7.5s. The coefficient of friction between the ax and grindstone is found to be 0.964, which is twice the correct answer of 0.482. The error was due to using the incorrect moment of inertia for a disk, which is (MR^2)/2. This concept is important in physics and should be studied further.
offbeatjumi

Homework Statement

The problem states: grindstone in shape of solid disk with diameter .52m and mass 52 kg rotates at 850 rev/min. You press an ax against the rim with normal force 160 N and grindstone comes to rest in 7.5 s. Find coefficient of friction between ax and grindstone.

Homework Equations

The sum of all torques t = I*alpha (angular accel). = alpha*mass*radius^2
avg.angular.accel = (change in angular velocity)/(change in time)
850 rpm = 89 rad/s

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Newton's second law I get the sum of external forces = m*a(tangential) = m*r*alpha = (mu)_k*n
(mu)_k = (mass*radius*alpha)/n = 0.964

The answer in the book is half of the answer I got, 0.482. Where did I miss this? Thanks so much =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Easy, it seems like your moment of inertia is wrong. If I'm not mistaken you're currently using I=MR^2. Which is the moment of inertia for a thin hoop, not a disk.

A disk has the moment of inertia I= (MR^2)/2... half of what you're using =)

Thanks, that was a silly mistake.
I feel completely stupid asking this now but i returned to the question and I don't see how I was using moment of inertia to answer my question.
It just seems that what I did was solve for ang.accel by taking the change in ang.vel. over change in time to get 11.87 rad/s. Then I equated the sum of ext.forces = f(k) = ma(tangential) = m*r*ang.accel.
since f(k) = mu_k*n... so mu_k = (m*r*ang.accel)/n .
Thank you so much, I'm just having a massive mental block.

Don't worry about it, angular momentum can be a hard concept but I recommend working hard at it. It will come a lot in physics from now on =)

1. What is torque and how is it related to angular acceleration?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. Angular acceleration, on the other hand, is the rate of change of angular velocity, or how quickly an object is rotating. Torque and angular acceleration are related through Newton's second law of motion for rotational motion, which states that the net torque on an object is equal to the moment of inertia times the angular acceleration.

2. How do you calculate the coefficient of friction using torque and angular acceleration?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how much resistance there is between two surfaces in contact. To calculate it using torque and angular acceleration, you will need to know the mass and dimensions of the object, as well as the force and distance applied to it. By setting up and solving equations involving torque and angular acceleration, you can find the coefficient of friction.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that keeps two surfaces from sliding against each other when there is no relative motion between them, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces that are sliding against each other. In other words, static friction prevents an object from starting to move, while kinetic friction slows down an object that is already in motion.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the motion of an object?

The coefficient of friction has a direct impact on an object's motion. A higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance between two surfaces, making it harder for the object to move. On the other hand, a lower coefficient of friction allows for smoother and faster motion.

5. Can torque and angular acceleration be used to determine the coefficient of friction for any surface?

While torque and angular acceleration can be used to calculate the coefficient of friction for many surfaces, it is important to note that this method assumes that the surface is flat and the object is in contact with it at a single point. In real-world scenarios, surfaces are often not perfectly flat and objects may have multiple points of contact, making it more difficult to accurately determine the coefficient of friction using this method.