1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and Massless beam with Two Objects

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    Torque and Massless beam with Two Objects!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[URL]http://capa.mcgill.ca/res/mcgill/dcmcgill/oldproblems/mcgilllib/Dik/graphics/torque.jpg[/URL]
    A massless beam is supported only at one point, called the pivot point, as shown in the diagram. A block with mass m1 sits at the left end of the beam, a distance L1 from the pivot point. A block with mass m2 sits at the right end of the beam, a distance L2 from the pivot point. L2 > L1. Calculate all torques about the pivot point, remembering that positive is anti-clockwise.
    Select Yes, No, Less than, Equal to, or Cannot tell.

(a)If m1 = m2, will the masses have an angular acceleration?

(b)Given particular values of L1 and L2, does the angular acceleration depend only on m1 / m2 ? (If it depends on the actual values of m1 and m2, put 'no'.)

(c)Is there a net (non-zero) torque?

(d)Given particular values of m1, m2, and L1, is it always possible to choose L2 (with L2 > L1) such that the masses have no angular acceleration?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried yes yes cannot tell and yes..

where did I go wrong ?
    out of six tries this is my last one.. Please help .. PLEASE.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2011 #2
    Re: Torque and Massless beam with Two Objects!!

Start by drawing a diagram of the situation; label all masses, distances and forces.
    If you're short on time I'd take a close look at the wording of part (d) specifically ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook