Metronome question: Figuring out net torque and expression for beats per minute?

In summary: L1/(M1L1 + M2L2)]In summary, a metronome is a device used by musicians to adjust the timing of their music and can be built using a light stick and two masses. The net torque on the metronome can be found by adding the torque on M1 and M2, and the number of beats per second can be expressed as (1/4π)√[L1/(M1L1 + M2L2)]. This formula can be used to calculate the number of beats per minute given the values of M1, M2, L1, and L2.
nukeman

Homework Statement

A metronome is a device used by musicians to help them adjust
the timing of their music to a standard number of beats per
minute. The position of the moveable slider determines the
frequency. It is possible to build a simple mechanical
metronome using a light stick and two masses, as shown in the
diagram.

(a) Assume the metronome is displaced from the vertical by an
angle, theta, as shown in the figure. Find an expression for the net
torque on the metronome about the pivot. Go through the
necessary steps to show that it will oscillate in SHM providing 
is a small angle and M1L1 > M2L2. Find an expression for the
number of beats per second of the metronome (note that there
are 2 beats per cycle of oscillation).

(b) Suppose M1 = 0.200 kg, M2 = 0.0500 kg, and L1 = 5.0 cm. Calculate the number of
beats per minute if:
(i) L2 = 16.3 cm. (Check your answer: 60 beats per minute.)
(ii) L2 = 6.8 cm.

Here is the image for the problem question I am having: http://i43.tinypic.com/sgiwb5.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Really need help with this:

The torque on M1 is –(M1 *g * L1 *sin(theta)) correct? The torque on M2 is positive (CCW). I add them together to get net torque right?

How do I add them together?

Also after that, how do I find an expression for the numbe of beats per second, as stated in the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the image for anybody reading this thread.

attachment.php?attachmentid=42882&stc=1&d=1327090160.png

Attachments

• sgiwb5.png
    sgiwb5.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 720
Thanks sammy!

Any help on this would be great! Having some issues :(

Anyone? :)

is this correct?

The mechanism is a physical pendulum. f = (1/2π)√[m*g*L/I] where m = M1+M2, L = distance from CM to pivot, and I = moment of inertia about pivot.
Ergo, beat frequency fb = f/2 = (1/4π)√[mgL/I]

1. How do you calculate the net torque for a metronome?

The net torque of a metronome can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the pendulum by the acceleration due to gravity and the distance from the center of mass to the pivot point. This can be represented by the formula T = mgL, where T is the net torque, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and L is the length of the pendulum.

2. What is the expression for beats per minute?

The expression for beats per minute (BPM) is a measure of tempo and can be calculated by dividing the number of beats by the duration of time in minutes. This can be represented by the formula BPM = b/t, where b is the number of beats and t is the duration of time in minutes.

3. How does the length of the pendulum affect the beats per minute of a metronome?

The length of the pendulum directly affects the beats per minute of a metronome. As the length of the pendulum increases, the beats per minute decrease and vice versa. This is because the longer the pendulum, the longer it takes for the pendulum to swing back and forth, resulting in a slower BPM.

4. Can the mass of the pendulum affect the beats per minute of a metronome?

Yes, the mass of the pendulum can affect the beats per minute of a metronome. A heavier pendulum will have a slower BPM compared to a lighter pendulum, as it requires more force to move the heavier pendulum back and forth.

5. How does the force of gravity impact the net torque and beats per minute of a metronome?

The force of gravity plays a crucial role in both the net torque and beats per minute of a metronome. A higher acceleration due to gravity will result in a higher net torque and a faster BPM, while a lower acceleration due to gravity will result in a lower net torque and a slower BPM.