1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque, Angular Momentum, and Conservation of Mass Problems

1. Mar 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am studying the topics listed above and have been having great difficulty getting my problems going. To explain, I am having difficulty seeing where the problem should go and attacking in that direction. I can draw out free-body diagrams but I can't see how to solve the problem using them.

Example problem: A string is attached to a top edge of a block, and there is a pivot (or sufficient friction) to keep the block from sliding. At what angle should we pull so that we can use the least force to tip the block? How much force is required?

I am not looking for an answer but rather a method to approaching such problems that ask for general solutions to the topics listed above.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, finding relationships between equations is something need to work on. Any resources?

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure if this applies to my question. If so, there are many.

3. The attempt at a solution

No Idea how to start

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2015 #2
    Sorry, I'll be looking into it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  4. Mar 15, 2015 #3
    Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, those links provided only little help. I have yet to find a book or resource that explains torque, angular momentum, or conservation of momentum (just noticed it is wrong in the title). They all just state the equations and define what they mean. Any book recommendations?

5. Mar 15, 2015 #4
  6. Mar 15, 2015 #5
    Wow, if there is a god, he must be good for allowing me to live long enough to meet you. Your help is very much appreciated my good man.

7. Mar 15, 2015 #6
    Glad I helped (Acting like a gentleman)......Background: Feeling extremely good about myself helping others

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted