Torque Causing Angular Acceleration on a Uniform Disk

In summary, a student is struggling with a physics problem involving a uniform disk rotating about an axle and four forces acting on it. They have completed all parts correctly except for calculating the angular acceleration in part h). After attempting various equations and calculations, they realized their mistake of confusing units and were able to correctly calculate the angular acceleration.
hdp12

Homework Statement

/* Intro, personal: I am taking Studio Physics 1 at FSU this summer semester. We have an online homework assigned weekly via a program called ExpertTA. This question has been giving me the HARDEST time and I seriously just need some help on it. I have completed and submitted sections a-g and all were correct. Part h), however, I must be doing wrong or something because I believe that I have tried every possibility that I can come up with. Whoever attempts to give this a shot, I genuinely appreciate it. I'm not one to usually ask for help, but like I said... I am stumped. */

PROBLEM:
A uniform disk of mass m and radius R can rotate about an axle through its center. Four forces are acting on it as shown in the figure. These forces are labeled F1, F2, F3, and F4. F2 and F4 act a distance d from the center of mass while the other two act on the outer edge of the disk. These forces are all in the plane of the disk.

naeahrpk.zc2.png

RANDOMIZED VARIABLES:
m= 3.6 kg
R= 24 cm = 0.24 m
F1= 2.5 N
F2= 2.5 N
F3= 6.5 N
F4= 4.5 N
d= 3.5 cm = 0.035 m

a) Write an expression for the magnitude τ1 of the torque due to force F1
ANSWER: τ1 = F1R

b) Calculate the magnitude τ1 of the torque due to force F1, in N·m
ANSWER: τ1 = 0.6

[c) Write an expression for the magnitude τ2 of the torque due to force F2
ANSWER: τ2 = F2d

d) Calculate the magnitude τ2 of the torque due to force F2, in N·m
ANSWER: τ2 = 0.0875

[e) Write an expression for the magnitude τ3 of the torque due to force F3
ANSWER: τ3 = 0

[f) Write an expression for the magnitude τ4 of the torque due to force F4
ANSWER: τ4 = dF4sin(53)

g) Calculate the magnitude τ4 of the torque due to force F4, in N·m
ANSWER: τ4 = 0.1258

h) Calculate the angular acceleration α of the disk about its center of mass in rad/s2. Let the counter-clockwise direction be positive.
PREVIOUS ANSWERS:
Xα=3.95
Xα=25.65
Xα=25.6519
Xα=25.66

Homework Equations

τ=rFsin(θ)
τ=Iα
α=τNET/I
[itex]\downarrow[/itex] Moment of Inertia of a uniform disk about its center of mass
I=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mR2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't recall how I got the first answer that I submitted, but I do for the last three.
Since the directions of the torques varies, the net torque will be calculated by adding the two ccw torques and subtracting the cw torque
τNET124
Next I set up the angular acceleration equation using the net torque just written and the moment of inertia formula
α=τNET/I = (τ124 )/ ([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mR2)
This equation produces the answer in terms of m/s2, but the question clearly asks for radians so, using the equation where 1 rad = 0.24 m = R
α=(τ124 )/ ([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mR2)·[itex]\frac{1 rad}{R}[/itex]
This SHOULD give me the correct answer. And, plugging all of the numbers in, I get 25.6519 but that is allegedly incorrect.
Please help me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hdp12 said:
Next I set up the angular acceleration equation using the net torque just written and the moment of inertia formula
α=τNET/I = (τ123 )/ ([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mR2)
This equation produces the answer in terms of m/s2,
[...]
What leads you to think that the result of this equation is in meters per second squared? What are the units of torque? What are the units of moment of inertia? What are the units of the quotient?

Error

I made an error in translating my work, I'm going to go back and fix it now.
Basically, τ3 is 0, so in my writing out the work that I did I accidentally wrote τ3 instead of τ4
Fixing that now

With full precision I get 25.6512463... . Perhaps the rounding is the problem.

jbriggs444 said:
What leads you to think that the result of this equation is in meters per second squared? What are the units of torque? What are the units of moment of inertia? What are the units of the quotient?

Hm, okay. Lemme work this out.
Units of torque?
τ = (#) N·m = (#) (kg·m·m/s·s) · m = (#) kg·m3·s-2
m = (#) kg
R = (#) m
R2 = (#) m2
Units of moment of inertia?
I = 0.5·m·R·R = (#) kg·m2
α = τ/I = kg·m3·s-2/kg·m2 = kg·kg-1·m3·m-2·s-2 =(cancelling) [STRIKE]kg·kg-1[/STRIKE]·m[STRIKE]3·m-2[/STRIKE]·s-2 = m·s-2

So that's my reasoning for why I believe the equation results in m/s2

verty said:
With full precision I get 25.6512463... . Perhaps the rounding is the problem.

Honestly I thought so as well and that's why I tried a few variations of 25.65... they all came back as incorrect though. This homework program usually accepts answers within at least a tenth of a decimal point of the correct answer. For example is 25.65 WAS the correct answer it was looking for and I entered 25.5 or 25.7 it would accept it. I guess that's why I believe I'm not actually close to the correct answer.

hdp12 said:
Hm, okay. Lemme work this out.
Units of torque?
τ = (#) N·m = (#) (kg·m·m/s·s) · m = (#) kg·m3·s-2
Try that again. What are the units of the Newton?

Likes 1 person
jbriggs444 said:
Try that again. What are the units of the Newton?

Oh my..
N = kg·m/s2
I confused Newtons with Joules.
Wow.

So if α = τNET/I
= (τ123 )/ (0.5mR2)
= (0.6 J - 0.0872 J + 0.1258 J) / (0.5 · 3.6 kg · 0.24 m · 0.24 m) = 0.6383 J / 0.10368 kg·m2
= 6.16 (kg·kg-1·m2·m-2·s-2
= 6.16 ([STRIKE]kg·kg-1[/STRIKE]·[STRIKE]m2·m-2[/STRIKE]·s-2
= 6.16 /s2

Which I'm assuming is in radians. Woooow. Kickin myself haha.

And that is correct I just submitted it. Thank you SO much. So frustrating that it was literally such a little mistake but it confused me for HOURS.

1. What is torque and how does it relate to angular acceleration?

Torque is the measure of a force's tendency to rotate an object around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation. In the case of a uniform disk, the torque causes angular acceleration, meaning the disk will start rotating in response to the applied force.

2. How does the distribution of mass affect torque and angular acceleration on a uniform disk?

The distribution of mass on a uniform disk affects the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. A disk with more mass concentrated near the center will have a lower moment of inertia and therefore require less torque to achieve the same angular acceleration as a disk with mass evenly distributed.

3. What is the relationship between torque, angular acceleration, and the applied force on a uniform disk?

The relationship between torque, angular acceleration, and the applied force on a uniform disk is described by the formula τ = Iα, where τ is torque, I is moment of inertia, and α is angular acceleration. This means that the greater the applied force or the lower the moment of inertia, the greater the resulting torque and angular acceleration.

4. How does friction affect torque and angular acceleration on a uniform disk?

Friction can act to oppose the applied force and therefore reduce the resulting torque and angular acceleration on a uniform disk. This is because friction creates a counteracting force that can decrease the net force and distance from the axis of rotation, both of which are factors in calculating torque.

5. Can torque and angular acceleration be negative?

Yes, torque and angular acceleration can be negative. This typically occurs when the applied force is in the opposite direction of the rotation or when the rotational motion is slowing down. In these cases, the resulting torque and angular acceleration will have a negative value, indicating a counteracting force or a decrease in rotational speed.