Multiple torques/forces on a disk, finding net torque

In summary, the net torque about the axle is 0.94 Nm. However, it is important to keep the signs consistent in the calculations to avoid confusion and errors.
aliaze1

Homework Statement

The 20-cm-diameter disk in the figure can rotate on an axle through its center.

What is the net torque about the axle?

image: http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1000963/5/knight_Figure_13_14.jpg

Homework Equations

τ=Frsinφ

The Attempt at a Solution

τnet= τ1+τ2+τ3+τ4

τ1 = 30N * 0.1 * sin(90)
τ2 = 30N * 0.05 * sin(-45)
τ3 = 20N * 0.05 * sin(-90)
τ4 = 20N * 0.1 * sin(45)

this was my original solution, which came out incorrect, a friend then told me that τ4 is zero because the force of 20N is not being applied to a point on the disk itself, so then:

τ1 = 30N * 0.1 * sin(90)
τ2 = 30N * 0.05 * sin(-45)
τ3 = 20N * 0.05 * sin(-90)

the issue is that I have only one attempt left at this problem and I want to confirm this before I submit the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks kike it should be the right answer, but I think it is less confusing and error prone if you keep the signs out of the sin arguments, in other words if a force is tending to cause conterclockwise rotation, make the entire torgue negative,

eg, T2=-30N*.05m*sin(45)
T3=-20N*0.05*sin(90)

Else it looks fine.

got it, yea the signs were messing me up, i got 0.94 when its actually -0.94,

thanks

1. What is meant by "multiple torques/forces" on a disk?

When we say "multiple torques/forces" on a disk, we are referring to the situation where there are multiple forces acting on a disk, causing it to rotate. These forces can come from different directions and have different magnitudes, resulting in a net torque on the disk.

2. How do you find the net torque on a disk with multiple torques/forces?

To find the net torque on a disk with multiple torques/forces, you need to calculate the torque produced by each force individually and then add them together. The direction of the torque is determined by the right-hand rule, where your fingers point in the direction of the force and your thumb points in the direction of rotation.

3. What factors affect the net torque on a disk?

The net torque on a disk is affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the forces acting on the disk, the distance between the forces and the axis of rotation, and the direction of the forces. Changes in any of these factors can result in a different net torque on the disk.

4. How do you calculate the net torque on a disk with perpendicular forces?

If the forces acting on a disk are perpendicular to each other, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the net torque. First, find the individual torques produced by each force and then use the theorem to find the hypotenuse, which represents the net torque.

5. Can the net torque on a disk be zero even with multiple torques/forces?

Yes, it is possible for the net torque on a disk to be zero even when there are multiple torques/forces acting on it. This can happen when the torques produced by the forces cancel each other out, resulting in a balanced system. This is known as rotational equilibrium and occurs when the sum of all torques is equal to zero.