1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque equilbrium involving support rod?

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform 300-kg beam, 6 m long, is freely pivoted at P. The beam is supported in a horizontal position by a light strut, 5 m long, which is freely pivoted at Q and is loosely pinned to the beam at R. A load of mass is suspended from the end of the beam at S. A maximum compression of 23,000 N in the strut is permitted, due to safety. In Fig. 11.1, the maximum mass M of the load is closest to:

11.1.jpg
    2. Relevant equations

Net Torque=0
    Net Force=0

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried adding up all of the torque moments and then setting them equal to 23,000N.

300(9.8)(3m)+0(Pivot arm)+6m(mg for the mass)=23,000

Then I set that net torque equal to 23,000, isolated force of the mass, and divided by 9.8 m/s^2 in order to find the maximum mass. It's still wrong, and I don't know where to go from here
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2012 #2
    You should start from writing down the equations of equilibrium. Don't plug in any numbers just yet, use letters for everything.

4. Oct 2, 2012 #3
    Just figured it out.

I have to take the 23,000 maximum force into account that is exerted upwards.

So Net Torque=

0(0)(at the Pivot P)+ (-300kg*9.8)(3m) + -x(6m) + 23,000(4/5)

Its 4/5*23,000 because that is how much is being exerted upwards after looking at the triangle.

We solve for x, and divide by 9.8, to get 788 Kg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook