Torque generated by the motor of ferris wheel?

In summary: We have the value of I*αr from the first case. Thus, we can find the value of T. In summary, to determine the torque generated by the motor to bring the wheel to 9.6 rev/min, we can use the equation T = I*αo + I*αr, where I is the moment of inertia and αo is the angular acceleration. Then, we can use the equation T = I*αr to find the value of T with the known value of I*αr.
jeneekim

Homework Statement

An electric motor can accelerate a Ferris
wheel of moment of inertia 11300 kg · m2 from
rest to 9.6 rev/min in 14.6 s. When the mo-
tor is turned off, friction causes the wheel to
slow down from 9.6 rev/min to 8.37 rev/min
in 7.23 s.
Determine the torque generated by the mo-
tor to bring the wheel to 9.6 rev/min.
Answer in units of N · m.

Homework Equations

[tex]\alpha[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex]/t
[tex]\tau[/tex] = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

given:
I = 11300 kgm2
[tex]\omega[/tex]o = 0
[tex]\omega[/tex]f = 9.6 rev/min = 1.005309649 rad/s
tf = 14.6 s

The question asks to determine the torque generated by the motor to bring the wheel to 9.6 rev/min so I think that means I don't have to worry about the motor beign turned off or the friction to slow it down... sooooo...

[tex]\alpha[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex]/t
= (1.005309649 rad/s)/(14.6s)
= 0.0688568253 rad/s2

[tex]\tau[/tex] = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
= (11300kgm2)(0.0688568253 rad/s2)
= 778.0821257 Nm

When I enter this answer, it says it is wrong? What am I doing wrong here?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the first case
T = I*αo + I*αr
where I*αr is the torque required to overcome the friction and I*αo is the torque need to accelerate the wheel after overcoming the frictional force.
In the second case
Tf = I*αr.

Your approach and calculations are correct. However, the answer should be given in units of N*m, not Nm. The correct answer is 778.0821257 N*m.

1. How is torque generated by the motor of a ferris wheel?

The torque generated by the motor of a ferris wheel is produced when the motor rotates and turns the wheel. The motor is connected to a drive shaft, which then transfers the rotational movement to the wheel, creating torque.

2. What factors affect the torque generated by the motor of a ferris wheel?

The torque generated by the motor of a ferris wheel can be affected by factors such as the weight and size of the wheel, the speed at which the motor rotates, and the friction between the wheel and its bearings.

3. How does the torque generated by the motor affect the movement of the ferris wheel?

The torque generated by the motor determines the rotational speed and direction of the ferris wheel. A greater torque will result in a faster rotation of the wheel, while a lower torque will result in a slower rotation.

4. Can the torque generated by the motor of a ferris wheel be adjusted?

Yes, the torque generated by the motor of a ferris wheel can be adjusted by changing the speed and power of the motor. This can be done through a control system that regulates the amount of electricity supplied to the motor.

5. How is the torque generated by the motor of a ferris wheel measured?

The torque generated by the motor of a ferris wheel can be measured using a torque sensor, which is a device that measures the amount of rotational force being applied. The unit of measurement for torque is Newton-meters (Nm).