Torque, gravity, and equilibrium

In summary, the problem involves a ride with a carriage attached to a rotating mechanical arm, with a maximum occupancy of 300kg. The arm needs to provide enough torque to prevent the passengers from swinging down during a power outage. The solution involves using the lever arm equation and setting it equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a torque of 3 x 10^4 N·m. However, there is some confusion over the wording of the problem and it may be possible that the book author used a different radius, resulting in an answer of 12 x 10^4 N·m.
musicalmedicin

Homework Statement

Description:

A ride consists of a carriage with a mass 300kg and with maximum occupancy of 300kg. The carriage is attached to a mechanical arm of length L = 5m that is capable of rotation. The arm is able to provide the torque necessary to swing the riders back and forth on a circular path. Initially, the trips back and forth are very small, but with each trip the swings become larger. Eventually, the riders have enough momentum to swing 360° around, performing a complete circle. In order to partake in this ride, the passengers must be restrained to their seats.

Problem statement:

With a full carriage, the ride suffers a power outage withe the mechanical arm perpendicular to the horizontal. How much torque must the mechanical arm provide in order to prevent the passengers from swinging down? (Assume the mechanical arm itself does not require any torque support.)

Homework Equations

τ = rFsinθ

τ = ℓF

Fgrav = mg

ac=V2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I first started by determining that the only force the arm would have to oppose was gravity. Since the arm is currently perpendicular to the horizontal We can use the lever arm equation, τ = ℓF and set it equal to Fgrav
∴τ = ℓmg = (5m)(300kg + 300kg)(10m/s2) = 3 x 104 N·m

The book I am using to study provides answer in the solution section of 12 x 10^4. It also shows how this answer was achieved. And shows τ = rFsinθ = mgr = (300 + 300) x 10 x 20 = 12 x 104 N·m. My interpretation of this answer is that the book's author is using 20 meters as the radius while I am using the 5 meters that is described in the description. I have been unable to find any information earlier in the chapter that makes me believe that I should be using 20 meters. Can someone please point out any flaws in my logic and calculations that would lead me to improper use 5 meters instead of 20 meters?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what "perpendicular to the horizontal" means. (I would call that vertical!) I assume that they meant that the arm was horizontal. If so, I agree with your answer.

Google to the rescue. Apparently it's a known problem with the book. At least that's what it says here...

http://premed101.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-52896.html

PS: I think the problem is very badly worded.

Last edited by a moderator:
My reading of the problem is that the power fails as the carriage passes through the low point (eg arm vertically downwards) with some velocity. The arm will continue to rotate using up KE until it comes to a halt at some height/angle. They want to know the max torque that could be required to stop it falling back down from that point.

That will occur (rather obviously) if it reaches the horizontal position before falling back. So yes I agree with your answer.

Thank you both for your responses! CWatters, I didn't even think to google the question because Princeton Review has a section of the online access that is suppose to describe any mistakes that have been found throughout the books, since it wasn't in there I assumed I made an error.

Good find, CWatters! :cool:

What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the turning or twisting force on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is torque = force x distance.

How does gravity affect torque?

Gravity affects torque by exerting a force on an object that is perpendicular to the surface on which the object is resting. This force creates a lever arm, which is the distance between the pivot point and the point where the force is applied. The greater the lever arm, the greater the torque.

What is equilibrium and how is it related to torque and gravity?

Equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and no acceleration. In terms of torque and gravity, equilibrium is achieved when the torque due to gravity is equal to the torque due to any other forces acting on the object. This means that the object will not rotate or accelerate.

What factors affect the equilibrium of an object?

The equilibrium of an object is affected by several factors, including the distribution of mass, the distance from the pivot point, and the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the object. If any of these factors change, the equilibrium of the object will also change.

How can torque and equilibrium be applied in real-life situations?

Torque and equilibrium have many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in construction, engineering, and sports. For example, torque is used to loosen or tighten bolts, and equilibrium is important in maintaining balance while riding a bike or performing gymnastics. Understanding these concepts can also help us design and build more stable structures and machines.