1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics problem about an anchored plank in water

1. May 21, 2012 #1
    Hello, I'm new and quite unfamiliar with all the conventions, but I'll use underline for vectors since I couldn't find the proper thing (is the convention to use bold here?)

Problem:
    No more.

Relevant equations:
    Fnet = ma = 0
    τnet = Iα = 0
    τ = r x F = rFsinθ
    Fbuoyancy = ρwaterVg

Attempt at solving:
    What I realised is that since the plank isn't in translational nor rotational motion, the net force and torque are both zero. T = tension, G = gravitational f., B = buoyancy.

T + G + B = 0

in scalar:

T + G - B = 0

Also, I know how to equate the torques (only gravity and buoyancy cause torque), but I can't find out the distances nor angles. I can also express the gravitational force in terms of density of the plank and it's volume...? Things just don't cancel out neatly there.

I can provide a diagram if really necessary, but I'd prefer not to now, I have very limited time. Thanks in advance. Also, is the template there to be followed rigorously or is any kind of organised posting viable?

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2012 #2
    Hint:

Compute center of pressure as a function of angle and enforce equilibrium using moment summation.

4. May 21, 2012 #3
    I would really like to have a solution given, or at least all the steps necessary, because I've been fighting with this for a good while and I don't feel like anymore, as it's not the only thing I need to know for Wednesday.

If nobody gives me the answer before tomorrow, I might try it then... but I would really appreciate a solution, as I've tried to do this.

E: Just noticed that complete solutions violate the rules... well is it possible to at least give me the steps, and I could do them myself?

5. May 21, 2012 #4
    Find the upward force due to the portion under water as a function of the angle and the distance from the surface. That force is directed vertically and is applied at the center of gravity of the portion under water. This creates a moment. Determine the moment in the other direction due to its natural weight. The plank is in equilibrium so what do you know about the sum of the moments?

6. May 21, 2012 #5
    L = length of plank

the angle θ between the forces and the moment arm is the same for both as the forces are only antiparallel.

B = ρwaterVsubmergedg
    G = ρplankVplankg

V = ?

τB = rBsinθ = (L/2 - x) * ρwaterVsubmergedg sinθ
    τG = rGsinθ = (L/2) * ρplankVplankg sinθ

(L/2 - x) * ρwVsubg sinθ = (L/2) * ρpVpg sinθ

→ (L/2 - x) * ρwVsub = (L/2) * ρpVp

Sum of the moments is zero, that I knew. I can identify all the forces and where they act, I just cannot make them into reasonable equations. Like volume, how do I get rid of it?

7. May 21, 2012 #6
    The volume consists to a cross section multiplied by length. The cross section is arbitrary but appears in each term so it cancels.

8. May 21, 2012 #7
    Oh, foolish me... I was stuck at the T + G - B = 0 with no hope of getting rid of V or A... had I only started with the moments.

Thanks, I think it makes sense now, I'll try it and see if I get the answer.

E: Yes, I got the answer, thank you. I think the angle is a matter of geometry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook