Statics problem about an anchored plank in water

In summary: If you were to rotate the plank around its center of mass (which is the fulcrum), the angle would change.
vanillin
Hello, I'm new and quite unfamiliar with all the conventions, but I'll use underline for vectors since I couldn't find the proper thing (is the convention to use bold here?)

Problem:
No more.Relevant equations:
Fnet = ma = 0
τnet = Iα = 0
τ = r x F = rFsinθ
Fbuoyancy = ρwaterVgAttempt at solving:
What I realized is that since the plank isn't in translational nor rotational motion, the net force and torque are both zero. T = tension, G = gravitational f., B = buoyancy.

T + G + B = 0

in scalar:

T + G - B = 0

Also, I know how to equate the torques (only gravity and buoyancy cause torque), but I can't find out the distances nor angles. I can also express the gravitational force in terms of density of the plank and it's volume...? Things just don't cancel out neatly there.

I can provide a diagram if really necessary, but I'd prefer not to now, I have very limited time. Thanks in advance. Also, is the template there to be followed rigorously or is any kind of organised posting viable?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:

Compute center of pressure as a function of angle and enforce equilibrium using moment summation.

LawrenceC said:
Hint:

Compute center of pressure as a function of angle and enforce equilibrium using moment summation.

I would really like to have a solution given, or at least all the steps necessary, because I've been fighting with this for a good while and I don't feel like anymore, as it's not the only thing I need to know for Wednesday.

If nobody gives me the answer before tomorrow, I might try it then... but I would really appreciate a solution, as I've tried to do this.

E: Just noticed that complete solutions violate the rules... well is it possible to at least give me the steps, and I could do them myself?

Last edited:
Find the upward force due to the portion under water as a function of the angle and the distance from the surface. That force is directed vertically and is applied at the center of gravity of the portion under water. This creates a moment. Determine the moment in the other direction due to its natural weight. The plank is in equilibrium so what do you know about the sum of the moments?

Last edited:
LawrenceC said:
Find the upward force due to the portion under water as a function of the angle and the distance from the surface. That force is directed vertically and is applied at the center of gravity of the portion under water. This creates a moment. Determine the moment in the other direction due to its natural weight. The plank is in equilibrium so what do you know about the sum of the moments.

L = length of plank

the angle θ between the forces and the moment arm is the same for both as the forces are only antiparallel.

B = ρwaterVsubmergedg
G = ρplankVplankg

V = ?

τB = rBsinθ = (L/2 - x) * ρwaterVsubmergedg sinθ
τG = rGsinθ = (L/2) * ρplankVplankg sinθ

(L/2 - x) * ρwVsubg sinθ = (L/2) * ρpVpg sinθ

→ (L/2 - x) * ρwVsub = (L/2) * ρpVp

Sum of the moments is zero, that I knew. I can identify all the forces and where they act, I just cannot make them into reasonable equations. Like volume, how do I get rid of it?

Last edited:
The volume consists to a cross section multiplied by length. The cross section is arbitrary but appears in each term so it cancels.

Oh, foolish me... I was stuck at the T + G - B = 0 with no hope of getting rid of V or A... had I only started with the moments.

Thanks, I think it makes sense now, I'll try it and see if I get the answer.

E: Yes, I got the answer, thank you. I think the angle is a matter of geometry.

Last edited:

Related to Statics problem about an anchored plank in water

1. How do I calculate the normal force on an anchored plank in water?

The normal force on an anchored plank in water can be calculated using the formula N = ρghA, where ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the depth of the water, and A is the area of the plank in contact with the water.

2. What is the buoyant force acting on the anchored plank in water?

The buoyant force acting on the anchored plank in water can be calculated using the formula FB = ρwater Vdisplacedg, where ρwater is the density of water, Vdisplaced is the volume of water displaced by the plank, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How do I determine the weight of the anchored plank in water?

The weight of the anchored plank in water can be calculated using the formula W = mg, where m is the mass of the plank and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The mass of the plank can be calculated by multiplying its density by its volume.

4. What is the equation for the net force on the anchored plank in water?

The equation for the net force on the anchored plank in water is given by Fnet = N - W - FB, where N is the normal force, W is the weight of the plank, and FB is the buoyant force.

5. How do I determine the stability of the anchored plank in water?

The stability of the anchored plank in water can be determined by calculating the center of gravity (CG) and the center of buoyancy (CB) of the plank. If the CG is above the CB, the plank will be stable. If the CG is below the CB, the plank will be unstable and may capsize.