Torque of a structure in zero G (space shuttle)

In summary, if you know the angle that the door rotates from closed to open and the dimensions, you can solve for the force required for that torque. If you are just making a rough estimate, you can solve for the force.
mongolianbbq
I am just brainstorming here, but I am wondering about the following:

Look at this picture of the payload bay doors on the space shuttle.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...tory_inside_the_Space_Shuttle_payload_bay.jpg

Each door has a torque shaft driven by an actuator. Let's say the required torque to drive the shaft is around 500 in-lb while the shuttle is in orbit.
If I know the angle that the door rotates from closed to open and the dimensions, can I solve for the force required for that torque? Is the correct equation T=r*F*sin(deg)? Do I even need to know any thing about the door itself since this is zero G? Or would I need the dimensions of the torque shaft?

If I am just making a rough estimate (very rough) would it be possible to solve this?

This is not homework, this is just for my personal gain in engineering knowledge. Any ideas, insults, etc, are welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you're asking. If you are just asking what force is required at a given distance from an axis in order to produce a desired torque, then yes, torque = FRsin(theta) is all you need, where theta is the angle between the direction of the force and the line from the axis to the point where the force is applied (it's really F X R, where F and R are vectors). The door is irrelevant since that is what the torque acts upon, not what produces the torque.

If you want to know how fast the door will open up when acted upon by that torque, then yes, you need to know about the door, specifically its moment of inertia.

Last edited:
I guess what I'm asking is what is the R? Is that the radius of the torque shaft? Since that is the item being directly driven by the actuator.

mongolianbbq said:
I guess what I'm asking is what is the R? Is that the radius of the torque shaft? Since that is the item being directly driven by the actuator.
That depends on where the force is being applied. If it's being applied to the surface of the torque shaft, say by a cable that has been wrapped around it, then yes, R is the radius of the shaft, and theta = 90 degrees.

I think the force is being applied via a ring gear assembly inside the actuator. So with the teeth of the shaft on the surface i guess the force is being applied to the surface.
Thanks!

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting or rotational force acting on an object. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

2. How is torque relevant in a space shuttle?

In a space shuttle, torque plays a crucial role in maintaining the stability and orientation of the structure. It is especially important during maneuvers and movements in zero gravity, where there is no external force to counteract the rotational forces.

3. What factors affect the torque of a structure in zero G?

The torque of a structure in zero G is affected by several factors, including the mass and distribution of the structure, the magnitude and direction of any external forces acting on it, and the distance between the axis of rotation and the point where the force is applied.

4. How is torque calculated in zero G?

To calculate the torque of a structure in zero G, you need to know the force acting on the structure and the distance between the axis of rotation and the point where the force is applied. The torque is then calculated by multiplying the force by the distance.

5. How is torque managed in a space shuttle?

In a space shuttle, torque is managed through various means, including the use of gyroscopes, reaction wheels, and thrusters. These systems can be controlled to counteract any unwanted rotational forces and keep the structure stable in zero gravity.