1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque on wheel in magnetic field

1. Jan 16, 2017 #1
    Hi, everyone.

I am facing issues in trying to solve a problem on a wheel in magnetic fields.

Since I was not able to access physicsforums, I wrote up everything about my issues and the question in a pdf file that I am attaching accordingly to this post. It is even typed up in the format of the homework help template.

Thanks for the help in advance, and I hope that you have a great day.
    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Everything is in the attached pdf file

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

For future reference, it would be better if you had written up the text in Notepad or Word, so that you could have just pasted the text into the forum when you got back online. Doing the drawing as a PDF is fine, but it is much harder to respond to your post when the text is not accessible for quoting... Thanks.

4. Jan 16, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Use the right-hand rule to figure out which way the forces are acting on the spokes. Can you speak to that?

5. Jan 18, 2017 #4
    Thanks for being willing to help. It is greatly appreciated.

By the right hand rule, assuming that the current from the positive terminal of the battery is going to the center of the wheel and then going outwards from it to the rim, and using the formula

Fb = Integral of (I * dl x B),

I do know that the magnetic force acting on the spokes will be directed in the counter-clockwise direction from the spokes, perpendicular to them.

Am I good, so far?

6. Jan 18, 2017 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

How much current is in each spoke?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted