Torque to force conversion (from a motor)

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem with converting torque from a servo motor into force for a robot in an industrial application. The individual is confused about whether any of the wheels on the vehicle will need to absorb the torque, and questions the direction and fulcrum of the torque. They also mention the need for a diagram to better understand the problem.
Feodalherren
TL;DR Summary
How to convert the torque from a motor to a force
So this is a silly problem that I ran into at work which made me realize that I have all but forgotten Newton's laws of motion after years of working with just hardware and software.

I am in the middle of programming a robot for an industrial application and I realized that I have no clue how to convert the torque from a servo motor into a force.

Basically imagine the following: you have a vehicle with 4 wheels coming up an assembly line. In the middle of this vehicle there is a metal weight what will be clamped with X N of force. A torque will then be applied to the piece at 20,000 Nm. I'm utterly confused, will any of the 4 wheels on the vehicle need to absorb any of the torque? When I think about it just intuitively I feel like the metal weight will have a tendency to rotate and that it will thus push down on the vehicle, but that will be seen as a force applied from one side of the metal piece that is in contact with the vehicle.

Thust the total force on the vehicle should be Ftot = Fweight + Fclamp +Ftorque->force

Or am I completely missing something?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the direction and fulcrum of that torque?
How does the servo that you have mentioned fit in the problem?
Any schematic?

Feodalherren said:
Or am I completely missing something?
Yes. You are missing a diagram showing what you want to do.

1. What is torque to force conversion?

Torque to force conversion is the process of converting the rotational force of a motor, known as torque, into a linear force or movement. This is important in many applications, such as robotics, where the rotational force of a motor needs to be translated into specific movements.

2. How is torque to force conversion calculated?

The formula for torque to force conversion is force = torque / radius, where torque is measured in Newton-meters (Nm) and radius is measured in meters (m). This formula assumes a perpendicular force being applied at the end of a lever arm, with the center of rotation being the axis of the motor's shaft.

3. Can torque to force conversion be affected by external factors?

Yes, torque to force conversion can be affected by external factors such as friction, weight, and the angle of the lever arm. These factors can increase or decrease the efficiency of the conversion process, resulting in a different amount of force being produced.

4. Are there different methods for torque to force conversion?

There are several methods for torque to force conversion, including using gears, pulleys, or levers. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of method depends on the specific application and desired outcome.

5. How is torque to force conversion used in real-world applications?

Torque to force conversion is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in machinery, robotics, and automotive systems. For example, in a car, the rotational force of the engine's motor is converted into linear force through the use of gears and axles, allowing the car to move forward.