1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torsion Pendulum Oscillation (SHM)

1. Jun 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform meter stick is hung at its center from a thin wire. It is twisted and oscillates with a period of 5 s. The meter stick is then sawed off to a length of 0.76 m, rebalanced at its center, and set into oscillation.

With what period does it now oscillate?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried solving for m in terms of k and then plugging that into a new equation solving for T with the length being .76, but that didn't work. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi SuperCass! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: by how much is I reduced? :wink:
  4. Jun 18, 2010 #3
    (1-.76)² ?
    So since the formula is T=2π√(I/k), would I multiply the original T by (1-.76)?

(Thanks for your signature!)
  5. Jun 18, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, I is proportional to ML2, and both M and L are reduced. :wink:
  6. Jun 18, 2010 #5
    Remember that you've been told that the rod is uniform, that means that its mass is proportional to its length! If we define a mass per unit length, [tex]\mu\equiv \frac{M_0}{L_0}[/tex] then the mass of a rod of length [tex]\ell[/tex] made of the same material would be..?
  7. Jun 18, 2010 #6
    .76 of the original mass?
  8. Jun 19, 2010 #7
    Exactly! That makes for [tex]m \propto \ell[/tex] which implies [tex]I \propto \ell^3[/tex]
  9. Jun 20, 2010 #8
    I got it now!
    So I just do the original period times the square root of .76^3!

Thank you all very very much!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook