1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total charge density of all electrons in the closed subshell n=3, l=2

1. Dec 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey guys,

So the title pretty much says it. I have to find the total charge density produced by all the electrons in a closed subshell where n = 3 and l = 2. The charge density produced by a single electron is [itex](-e)|R_{32}(r)Y_{2,m}(\theta , \phi)|^{2}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    So he gave an example in lectures, but that was for something that had n=2, l=1 subshell. This is what I've got written down:

[itex]|P_{21}|^{2}=2(-e)\sum_{m=-1}^{+1}|Y_{lm}|^{2}=2(-e)|R_{21}|^{2}\frac{3}{4\pi}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure that equation above is right for my situation...does it change when the quantum numbers change? of course the sum will now range from m = -2 -> +2 but is that all that changes? I cant even find any material on this, in my book or elsewhere...

thanks guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2013 #2
    The charge distribution is just [tex] \rho = -e \sum |\Psi_{nlm}|^2 [/tex] where the sum is over all the electrons you're interested in. In this case, they are the electrons with n=3, l=2 so you should sum is over m and ms, for all values possible for this shell.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted